GooBall

I had a question for all of you who have raised baby bimacs. When you feed them, how much do you feed them, or i should say how much would they normally eat? Was it emough for them that they wouldn't eat for a day or 2?

Gooball was in a different location when i woke up this morning, and has been moving a little more, but not much, it's progress through. I take that as a sign that he is gaining confidence in his new tank, so i went to the store and bought 10 blue leg crabs and placed them in his tank. He saw them moving but didn't come out after them. I was wondering if that real little guppie i fed him yesterday was enough for him for a while or what? I just got the crabs to ensure he has the opportunity to eat and to see if he actually is eating, and not stashing the food I give him.

Lil Pumpkin was about the size of a dime when I got him. He used to eat a small hermit crab usually every day, but depending on the size of the crab sometimes, he would go for 2 days. Now Inklet is about the size of a tennisball curled up. If he doesn't get filled up with a meal, he continues to look for food. Yesterday, he ate another large crab and has been sleeping it off all day today. Good idea on the blue leg hermits. Most babies can't refuse them. He should get more active as he gets hungry again, although with the constant supply of food now, he may not be as active. Sounds like he's doing ok!

Carol

since i just got him, my main concern is making him happy. as long as he eats and is ok for now, i dont mind much if he sleeps and i don't see him as much. I know he has seen the crabs put i yet to see him give interest. He did have a long flight from California to Ohio, and it is only going on 5 days since i got him. Time will tell.

Today when I got home, i saw my Octo and a hermit crab practically making-out. They were as close as they could be and he still didn't eat it. Should i be worried, or am i just over reacting? I'm afraid he hasn't eatn anyhing for a while, and I thought for sure he would eat them, but no. Where he sits, their is always a hermit crab or 2, in his vision.

Today is day 8, since i recieved Gooball, and their is still no sign of him eating any of the crabs i have placed in there. I took my water to the lfs to get the water tested and the only thing that turned up was a 100 level nitrate. coule this be why he hasn't been eating?

First, is this the tank that you were worried about possable copper contamination??? That could very well be the answer......

Wow! That's high. I think I remember reading nitrates don't affect them but I would start doing regular waterchanges just to make sure. My tank is 6 or 7 years old and I remember with Hermin, my nitrate was off the scale but I had him for 6 months or so.

Carol

no i traded tanks with my roomate. he said that he has never used copper before, and i have had a polyfilter running in it for nearly a month now and no blue has appeared anywhere on it either.

Hi Eight-Legged Freak,

So going back quickly over your past posts - your little bimac ate a ghost shrimp but not much else over the last week.

Can you give us a readout on your sg and pH - sometimes these are kept lower in a fish tank. You need to have an sg of around 1.026 (full strength sea water) and a pH of maybe 8.2 - this could be affecting him.
I assume that nitrites and ammonia are zero.

Have you tested for copper?

Also, you might try offering something else - a small piece of thawed uncooked shrimp, or a small piece of fresh scallop.

Your octo is very young and needs to be eating.

Please keep us posted!

Nancy

yes before i added my octo i had a SG of right inbetween 1.025 and 1.026 and is still there. pH is 8.2, maybe even 8.3. No copper shows on 2 different kinds of test kits, and no trace on my polyfilter. Nitrite and ammonia are absolutely 0. i really don't know whats wrong. i'm familiar with saltwater tanks now for about 3 years and have never had a problem. I'm going to college to even become a marine biologist, not that, that makes me any better but im lost with this one.

i have tried feeding it more ghost shrimp, krill, sea scallops, chopped up large clam, baby clams from fishsupply, and i have 10 hermit crabs in the tank and none are eatn, and even silversides. when i try and feed him he feels the food, but doesn't take it. when i five him live ghost shrimp or live feeder guppies on my stick he will take those and then he holds it for about 1 or 2 minutes and then releases it, without out eating any of it. i observed him yesterday when a hermit crab crawls right infront of him, he uses a tentacle to push it away from him. I'm worried for the little guy.

Since you really have done well with the tank and food offered, there's not much else you can try, but do keep offering the food. Maybe the problem is with the little bimac - hope not, but it happens. Perhaps lowering the nitrates will help - maybe it affects young octos more than older ones.

Hope all turns out well.

Nancy

Here's another thought. Did you transfer any of the rock or decorations into your roommates tank from your old one?

And Lil Pumpkin was one of those little bimacs that just didnt thrive. So hopefully he will come around! I would do a water change just to be sure!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Carol

i switched over 75lbs of rock , to both my large 75 gallon tank, and my 46gallon tank inwhich i hold my briareus, and he is fine.

I tried feeding him a piece of krill, and a dead little emerald crab, and he took both and about 15 seconds later he pushed both of them out, without eating any of either.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back