Glowing Squid found in Puerto Azov, Russia

Hello everyone! I was scrolling through Instagram when the #squid pulled up this interesting post:
In the video is what is supposedly a squid on the surface of the water that is glowing blue, then dives beneath the surface. It was apparently filmed on Jan 9th, 2020 in Puerto Azov, Russia.

I cant find it in the news or images after searching for it on google (I might of not looked hard enough though) and was wondering if you guys think this video was legit or not. Also, if possible, what species of squid do you think is being filmed? It is hard to judge size in the video sadly.

Just thought that you guys would enjoy this video, even if the source might be a little sketchy. Tell me if you can't view the link due to Instagram or something, Ill screen capture it and post a link here.

:archi:

This is a tough one, some squids do use luminescent bacteria to make light (euprymna scolopes for example) but I am skeptical of a squid whose entire body is glowing. It also seems very bright. Most "glowing" animals that use bioluminescence aren't nearly that bright (I'm comparing the brightness of the animal to the surrounding light reflections on the water).

In the comments on the post someone mentioned the regularity of the flashing, that could also be a sign that points to this being a toy or doctored footage, hard to tell.

This is a tough one, some squids do use luminescent bacteria to make light (euprymna scolopes for example) but I am skeptical of a squid whose entire body is glowing. It also seems very bright. Most "glowing" animals that use bioluminescence aren't nearly that bright (I'm comparing the brightness of the animal to the surrounding light reflections on the water).
I know of firefly squid, and their entire body can glow. I don't think this is one of them though, as they are really small and live in schools. Maybe I could look through Cephalopods of the World and see if I can find it, or maybe through tol.web or wikipedia.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back