Glove Growing Up

dwhatley;119068 said:
No suggestions or answers but a few questions. When you said the eggs are "gone" do you mean they totally vanished or just became empty sacks? Could she have eaten them?

I took most out and the rest are completely gone. She may have eaten them or the grass shrimp picked at them.

dwhatley;119068 said:
Does she stay in the open curled up all the time or just during night/day?

All of the time. Actually today she is looking terrible. She is no longer curled up and is very white. She is also breathing heavily. I'm assuming it is only a matter of days.

Very sad :cry:. I wish I could do something to ease her pain. Do you think I should use benzaclin and put her out of her misery?

I've had to make that choice several times so far this year for my pets. We put our 11 year old Dane to sleep when I felt her hips grinding the day she could not get up. Later that night she managed to get up and do steps but we decided to call in the vet. I told her I would try meds if it would keep her comfortable and let her expire naturally but she felt the decision was over due.

I put Sisturus in a separate container when it was obvious he had only hours. When I could not see breathing I waited another hour and then put him in formalin. That triggered an arm reaction. I am sure he was already dead but I hurts me to think he might have had a little life left and that the formalin caused pain.

HideNSeek may have been the worst because I think I extended his life (unintentionally) by putting in an air line.

My main problem is trying to separate my pain from the animals. It is so miserable to watch them die but I feel they have the right to die naturally. I hope I go in my sleep and no one has to make the choice. It does not matter to me but the suffering of the living, whichever choice is made, is the worst part.

Glovette passed away yesterday :cry: She was found when I got home from work. Almost 9 months to the day. She was my favorite Octo by far and will be missed. I hope she lived a happy life. As you all know I never had a cover on my tank (not recommended), housed her with many different species (also not recommended) and even kept her with another Octo (that was brief). I believe she was happy and constantly stimulated. The only basis I have for this is that she never tried to get out. Hopefully I did the right thing.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice. As I always do, I'm going to take some time off before I get another Octo.

dwhatley;119196 said:
I've had to make that choice several times so far this year for my pets. We put our 11 year old Dane to sleep when I felt her hips grinding the day she could not get up. Later that night she managed to get up and do steps but we decided to call in the vet. I told her I would try meds if it would keep her comfortable and let her expire naturally but she felt the decision was over due.

I put Sisturus in a separate container when it was obvious he had only hours. When I could not see breathing I waited another hour and then put him in formalin. That triggered an arm reaction. I am sure he was already dead but I hurts me to think he might have had a little life left and that the formalin caused pain.

HideNSeek may have been the worst because I think I extended his life (unintentionally) by putting in an air line.

My main problem is trying to separate my pain from the animals. It is so miserable to watch them die but I feel they have the right to die naturally. I hope I go in my sleep and no one has to make the choice. It does not matter to me but the suffering of the living, whichever choice is made, is the worst part.

Very tough D. Sorry to hear about your dog. I agree with you 100% about the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back