Glove Growing Up

Does Glove ever turn jet black with white circle dots across the body? Just trying to compare with mine :smile:

Hi Colin,

Glove on occasion will change his skin texture to look almost like a sargassum fish's appearance and will be mostly white with some black. I haven't noticed Glove turning black with white dots though. The closest to that description is the "skunk" look some of the earlier pictures in this thread show.

I've started my local collection this past weekend so Glove enjoyed a nice snack of Grass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio) and my seahorses enjoyed some Mysis shrimp (Neomysis americana).

so do you think i could put an octo in my 265g reef tank? i think it would be the coolest thing ever! i may try either a briareus or an A. aculeatus. thanks for any info! i keep seeing more and more people keeping octos in reef tanks! i'm starting to think there reef safe! except for inverts.

thats interesting, I'm thinking that mine are not aculeatus, perhaps abaculus?

always good to catch your own livefood isnt it?

fishkid6692;115150 said:
so do you think i could put an octo in my 265g reef tank? i think it would be the coolest thing ever! i may try either a briareus or an A. aculeatus. thanks for any info! i keep seeing more and more people keeping octos in reef tanks! i'm starting to think there reef safe! except for inverts.

Assuming you have done your homework on what corals are safe for Octos, the main concern you may want to think about is your coral-scaping. An Octo can and will dislodge and move all the corals it can to make a nice den. I'm not so much concerned about my corals and I still found it annoying. Glove even removed some Gorgs that were glued to rocks. Besides Inverts, your fish can be targets too.

i was thinking about trying a small octo also. maybe a merc? or a hummelincki? there small and i don't think a merc would go after a 7 inch tang. i think that might be my best bet. anyone else have some opinions on this? i would like to hear what evryone thinks about this. btw i have kept a few octos before so i know how to take care of them.

fishkid6692;115179 said:
i was thinking about trying a small octo also. maybe a merc? or a hummelincki? there small and i don't think a merc would go after a 7 inch tang. i think that might be my best bet. anyone else have some opinions on this? i would like to hear what evryone thinks about this. btw i have kept a few octos before so i know how to take care of them.

No, a mercatoris probably wouldn't go after a 7" tang. But as to whether or not the tang will find it and take a bite is a different story. On the other hand, my mercatoris Einy would cling to the side of his container seemingly trying to jump onto my dwarf fuzzy lionfish which was about 4" at the time.
A hummelincki is probably going to take most any fish out. They're pretty bold.

Quick Update:

I have not seen Glove for the past three days. Glove's den is completely covered with shells and rubble. Not sure what to make of it but I'm a little concerned. I've had Glove now for 7 months....

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that if Glovette it is there would be any viable eggs UNLESS your three armed guy was male and he mated successfully. I seem to remember you hoping there would be a mating but I don't recall you identifying the sex of either of the octos.

Yeah that's why I thought it could be a successful mating... time will tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back