Glove Growing Up

Dom,
I have been wondering how your mixed tank was doing and am glad you are back on-line. So far I don't think anyone has had success with multiple octos in an aquarium unless they were sibblings raised together (my Mercs and Zyan's bimacs are the only ones I am aware of in our journals) and my offspring from the Merc sibbling pairing have not done well at all but I don't know if it is juvenile predation (I had none with the first group) or male adult praying on the young. It seems consumption must be involved as there are no bodies but I don't know if they are eaten after a kill or after a natural death or who eats them.

I noticed that you have erectus and some other type of seahorse in the tank. I am about to start a seahorse tank (again) and would like to know what species the other horse is and how long they have been together (I have had problems when mixing and would like to find another Caribbean species that might survive with the erectus).

dreadhead;111397 said:
Sorry to hear it,but its good to have you back.Are those blue led lights?I just but mine back on my tank tonight.Now that Olorin is settled in I thought it might be ok.

Thanks. No they are metal halides.

dwhatley;111402 said:
Dom,
I have been wondering how your mixed tank was doing and am glad you are back on-line. So far I don't think anyone has had success with multiple octos in an aquarium unless they were sibblings raised together (my Mercs and Zyan's bimacs are the only ones I am aware of in our journals) and my offspring from the Merc sibbling pairing have not done well at all but I don't know if it is juvenile predation (I had none with the first group) or male adult praying on the young. It seems consumption must be involved as there are no bodies but I don't know if they are eaten after a kill or after a natural death or who eats them.

I noticed that you have erectus and some other type of seahorse in the tank. I am about to start a seahorse tank (again) and would like to know what species the other horse is and how long they have been together (I have had problems when mixing and would like to find another Caribbean species that might survive with the erectus).

Thanks D. It is sad Mr. 3 Legger was killed or died. His growth pace wasn't what it should be and I often wondered if it was a result of stress because at one point he only had three legs or some sort of Koi type growth block. That may be a little crazy but he ate so much. I feel terrible about the whole thing.

The other seahorses in the tank are reidi. Everyone in the tank is doing great. Someone was giving away seahorses so I took them so now I have 8.

Back a few posts we talked about the eel interaction with the Octo. They have become so comfortable with eachother that the octo actually lets my younger eel into his den. I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock: I have only witnessed this on 3-4 occasions.

BTW, I will not try and keep two Octos in the same tank again. There is no real benefit that I see or experienced. They never really interact with each other. Maybe down the road I'll try breeding them but even then I won't keep them together all of the time.

Dom,
I will differ slightly with you on the two octos in a tank. In addition to myself, I know of two other successes. All three successes, however (Mine - Mercs, Zyan Silver - Bimac, Mote Marine - Vulgaris), were same species animals raised together from hatchlings (the Mote Vulgaris were found together in the wild). I do not know of a failure with this formula but I don't know of a success trying to place two adults and/or different species in a tank.

Very interesting with the ribbons! I thought you were going to move one of them but I assume you decided to hold off on the move and the current relationship developed. Please keep a posting on their continuing relationship as it is something I might also consider down the road.

dwhatley;111528 said:
Dom,
I will differ slightly with you on the two octos in a tank. In addition to myself, I know of two other successes. All three successes, however (Mine - Mercs, Zyan Silver - Bimac, Mote Marine - Vulgaris), were same species animals raised together from hatchlings (the Mote Vulgaris were found together in the wild). I do not know of a failure with this formula but I don't know of a success trying to place two adults and/or different species in a tank.

Very interesting with the ribbons! I thought you were going to move one of them but I assume you decided to hold off on the move and the current relationship developed. Please keep a posting on their continuing relationship as it is something I might also consider down the road.

Sorry D, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was making a recommendation to other people but rather for me personally I will not keep two Octos in the same system anymore.

I ended up not moving the ribbon mainly because I was so busy at work I forgot about my plans. :lol:

Updated Pics. Glove's appetite has slowed down :smile:. Its been over six months since I got him. Glove will only eat shrimp now. I know it appears Glove is eating a silverside but he actually he turned it away.

2331713337_82bd76849a_o.jpg

2331712621_773cbf0023_o.jpg

dwhatley;112936 said:
Dom,
Does he still get along well with the ribbon eel?

Yes D. As you know I have two Ribbon Eels in the tank and I haven't had a problem. In fact, Glove has been more mobile with the dens which has led to much more interaction. I have one long PVC that is buried in the sand that runs from the back left corner to the front right corner. There is an entrance at each end and in the middle. Glove used to choose one of the three entrances and block off the PVC so the Eels could not get to where Glove was hiding. Now, Glove has given back some of my corals (THIEF!) that was used to block off the PVC and removed all of the sand from inside the PVC and actually uses the entire PVC as a den. Of course Glove has to share it with the ribbon eels. It is kind of funny seeing them together. I will try and take a picture for you.

With all of the inhabitants in the tank with Glove, the only casulties were cleaner and fire shrimp, Two pajama cardinals and one small convict tang. Everything else has been left alone.

Here are some pics of one of my eels eating:

JHL_5150.jpg

JHL_5144.jpg

JHL_5147.jpg

I really like eels and have had several fresh water varieties over the years and my son has kept snowflakes and a wolf eel (not actually an eel if I recall) but my very favorite is the ribbon. I keep wondering if one would survive with an octo when we convert our largest tank but I would be devistated if it did not work out and would not have an alternate environment if I had to separate them. Do they approach visitors other than at feeding time?

Not really. They always have there heads out almost like a garden eel in the sand. They have learned that when the stick is in the water it means food so that is the only other time besides feeding time they come far out. I watched my black ribbon eel grab my only banggai cardinal and eat it on friday. I couldn't believe it fit in its stomache. My eels eat shrimp, squid and silversides. I haven't gotten them eating anything else yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back