"giant" squid size

tomossan

Blue Ring
Registered
and i say this with some reservation, as that usually brings up images of Architeuthus.... my question is this.
could a species of very large squid grow larger than 100 foot? i have heard from various internet sources of squids upto 175 foot, for instance

The UnMuseum - The Giant Squid

is this possible in any sense of the word? could a marine ecosystem support such a collosal squid, or is this completly undeasible? im intrigued by this, but i have a sneaky suspicion its codswallop. However if a ecosystem could support such a large animal than perhaps it could exist....

i know im rambling, but im quite interested to hear the opinion of poeple that know what the hell they're talking about :biggrin2:

Well, Steve and Tintenfisch are the ones for this one, but for my 2 cents worth...

Extremely unlikely that a squid could grow that large. For one thing, we have absolutely no evidence for Architeuthis over a maximum of 13m Total length. I suppose it is possible that a squid could grow larger if the food supply is there, but why have we not recovered fragments of creatures of this sort of size from Sperm Whale stomachs? Enough of the stomach contents of these whales have been examined by now, and it seems likely that remains of any creature of that size would have been identified and sensationalised by now.

In addition, no corpses of creatures of this size have been discovered or specimens become entangled and hauled up in drift nets.

Also one has to consider growth rates. Squids have very sort life spans. I believe Architeuthis probably reaches its maximum size in just 3-5 years, making it one of the longest lived squids. (kick me, Steve & Kat here.....). To believe a squid could reach 175ft or more implies incredible longevity, or, a phenomenal growth rate.

I suppose an ecosystem could support a squid of such size, there is just no reliable evidence for it unfortunately.

(Hope I am not treading on anyone's toes here.......)

Phil

Go Phil! We might just have to get you your own forum... :wink:

Aye, Architeuthis probably still holds the record for longest squid, and of the 100+ we've seen, none has ever been longer than 37 feet. We think Mesonychoteuthis might reach lengths of about 35 feet and is certainly more massive in the body than the GS, but neither of these squid are reaching lengths approaching 100 feet.

I believe the 60' figure was the result of pacing off the animal's length... and you may recall the Tasmanian GS that washed up last year, which was 15' when it appeared and had grown to 60' by the end of an intensive week of press coverage...

:P it seems my cryptozoology sites have let me down yet again.

*sigh* :roll: its still nice to imagine a 100 foot squid.... possibly capable of wrecking oil tankers :wink:

:meso: RAR

But, what would be if a squid could never produce sexual organs and would never reach maturity? Could probably produce giants, comparable to the giant ammonites? It would be really interesting to see what would happen with a sterilized squid.

I did not say that such experiments should be made with an archi, it could also be done with a small species which is suitable for tanks.

Interestingly similar experiments were already made with tadpoles many decades ago. After the removing of their thyroid glands they grew and grew and grew, but never reached maturity and became only frogs after they were feed with special hormons.

Bulls versus steers, from my experience growing up in farming country, though not farming, is really more about insuring that the best males in a farmers herd are left "whole" for breeding purposes, and the not so perfect specimens are sterilized so they can't impregnate the females before the desired sires can get to them. Sterilization also cuts down significantly on aggression, which is one reason that from time to time it has been suggested for certain male recidivistic criminals of human persuasion.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back