Giant Squid footage on History Channel

Clem;103923 said:
Ob,

Upon studying a decent grab, I no longer see a Diamondback. I see something painful.

:goofysca:

Hi Clem, Ob. I'm a tad confused by this discussion. Are you referring to the large squid at the end? Those aren't hooks on the frame grab Clem, but trabeculae (either side of the sucker rows) - not an Architeuthis characteristic. I could be misinterpreting the discussion going on though.

I'd need to see much more footage before making an id on this one; unfortunately the 'History' channel we get here differs from that in the US; it hasn't aired here at all (yet).

Sorry for introducing the "hook" word in this one, my fault, wanted to keep it in sensible English but appear to have achieved the opposite :smile:. I think we're in agreement the attacking squid of framegrab fame halfway through is Dosidicus, it's the large squid at the end that has us fascinated, or me at least, because at first glance I don't think it's Dosi...

Even the best shots that I could pick out only give an impression of a large squid, although I am no ceph expect - just an observer to the forums mostly! It's tantalising footage though....

Attachments

• conv_291942.jpg
    conv_291942.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 127
Steve O'Shea;103930 said:
Hi Clem, Ob. I'm a tad confused by this discussion. Are you referring to the large squid at the end? Those aren't hooks on the frame grab Clem, but trabeculae (either side of the sucker rows) - not an Architeuthis characteristic. I could be misinterpreting the discussion going on though.

I'd need to see much more footage before making an id on this one; unfortunately the 'History' channel we get here differs from that in the US; it hasn't aired here at all (yet).

As far as I know it hasn't aired in the US yet, either, just the trailer/teaser.

D. gigas (arms in photo below) are schooling animals and one of them had a camera on its back, with what seemed to be a long tether to the surface. Based by how often they do this exact same behavior when they're just swimming on the surface, it's a wonder more of them didn't come check it out.

As for the 108 ft squid...riiiight. decently long arms, but if you figure the focal distance of the camera in that visibility was maybe five or six feet- it certainly wasn't that big of a squid. If it were 108 ft, we would have seen two or three very very large suckers.

Attachments

• conv_291943.jpg
    conv_291943.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 98
With you on the 108 ft assessment, but it does look like a fairly large beasty, nevertheless, I'm sticking with 1,5 to 2 meter ML...

I am going to DVR it for you over sea's boys, all it would take is a 6pack and i would be happy to replay it for you!
lol.

:arr: Arr arr, me maties, scrumpy!!!! Got to love it :cheers:

If we could use some sort of "reasonable definition" on-line platform, such as soapbox (MSN, p'tooee) to host a small selection of relevant scenes, it would not be infringing too much on copyright, I think...

I could pitch in a bottle of genuine Vlaardingen Schelvispekel?

It's been announced now that this episode will be showing at 10pm this coming Wednesday 11/14 in the U.S.

108 feet. My hopes for actually seeing a 108' squid are quickly trashed. :frown:

Does it sound like the History channel is just playing the 108' scale up just to get some ratings? :frown:

Well, I'm going to watch it, but I like watching gonetobaja's dive footage with squids closer to 108 inches (ehich is still pretty big if you're diving with them!) so I won't be too disappointed or surprised if the 108 feet turns out to be hype, conjecture, or bad math.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back