Giant Squid Beak Replica

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
:heee:

I love this.

My brother and sister in-law surprised me with a belated (not their fault) birthday gift last week: a resin casting of an Architeuthis beak set. Commercially produced by Bone Clones and available from Skulls Unlimited International, it's a real beauty, accurately reproducing the complex structure and subtle surface textures of the giant squid's beaks. (For those who like to know such things, the lower rostral length is 20mm.) I've always wanted a casting like this, and wondered aloud here at TONMO if it was even possible to do such a thing. With any luck, Bone Clones will follow up with a Mesonychoteuthis beak set to keep Archie's chompers company on my shelf.

Thanks again, Dan and Michelle.

Clem

Something about that isn't right Clem ... as in it so isn't Architeuthis.

I hate saying this because it's been a birthday present, but someone has been marketing something that it isn't.

Hi Clem

You'll find Archi beaks here and here, if you scroll down. Look at the rostral length (relative to wing length) on the lower jaw; it's completely different to what you have.

Cheers
O

Thanks, Steve,

:mad:

You're absolutely right. My best guess is that what I have is actually a casting of large Dosidicus beaks, with a few alterations made to some profles to simplify the shapes for pattern-making. Now, it's still a very cool object, but it's not what it's advertised as being, and it ain't cheap. My brother could probably have bought a sack full of genuine Humboldt beaks for the same price. I feel badly about this, but I really don't like the fact that we've been misled, so I think I'll send it back with a sternly worded letter and a demand for satisfaction, or credit towards the purchase of some artifact that's beyond dispute.

Damn.

Clem

Clem,
Be sure to post what the seller says in response. Most curious that they would misrepresent such an unusual thing, especially since anyone interested enough to purchase (or at least the recipient) would likely have some knowledge or source to valiadate what it should look like.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back