• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting used

nightlife31

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi there,

Any (technical) suggestions how to get an octopus and feeder fish (fresh water, like guppies) acclimised to your aquarium?

greetz, rutger

Hi Rutger,

You acclimatize them like any invertebrate. I used a big bowl for my octopus (Colin's advice) and placed my little octopus and most his water in this large bowl. Then I began to slowly add water from the aquarium, about 1/2 cup at a time. Over a period of about 30-40 minutes, I had more of my tank water in the bowl then the original water. Then I scooped up the little bimac and put him in the tank.

Some people float the bag with the octopus or the fish and add the tank water to the bag. You probably have to remove some water from the bag before doing this. Also, you need to be careful not to pour water from the bag into the tank.

Hope this was the information you were looking for,
Nancy

Nancy said:
Some people float the bag with the octopus or the fish and add the tank water to the bag. You probably have to remove some water from the bag before doing this. Also, you need to be careful not to pour water from the bag into the tank.
this is the technique i have used in my entire life, will try the bowl technique though, sound's hopeful.

hi Rutger

i doubt you will be able to acclimatise guppies to marine water unless you have the picta species and then you wouldn't want to use them as feeders as they cost $$$$

So mollies are probably a better bet.

In the long run fish are not an ideal food for cephs and continual use causes problems so try to source out a good crustacean supply.

using a bowl or a large bucket has always worked for me, i prefer it because it keeps the LFS water away from your tank, this can be a source of many problems in an aquarium.

Welcome to TONMO.com Rutger

Hi Collin,

So I will be able to start my tank up (after the first month) with mollys (poecilia latipinna or Xiphophorus helleri???), by letting them get used to salt water by adding saltwater (drips) to their freshwater?

How about species like tetraodon palembangensis or fluviatilis, they sell them at my LFS (cheap), would be nice for a start!!

greets from holland,

rutger

Stick with the mollies...tetraodon can be a pain in the rear! I prefer using common black mollies as opposed to the sailfins, but some friends have had good luck with the "green" sailfins...
Greg

Greg's right.. the common black and green mollies do really well and that's what i have always stuck to, a friend did cycle his tank recently with sailfins though.

I am also agreeing about the puffers as they are one of the nippiest fish ever kept!!! LOL i'd hate to see them taking a nip at an octo!

well, these pufferfish are pretty funny and cost the same as mollie's.

btw, to be certain we talk about the same fish, what is the Latin name of the molly you talk about?

greetz, rutger

I've always used an airline tubing, with a knot to lesson the flow and dripped my octos. Is the bowl and cup method better?

Carol

I usually just do a drip from the primary tank into the new animals container, then remove that animal and place it into the tank...I agree that avoiding the LFS water is key...they tend to overmedicate and throw lots of "stuff" into the system!
Re: sci names for mollies...any of the poeciliids are fine, but Mollienisia of any species are cool for cycling. some prefer the sailfins, I prefer the common black mollies. I have heard of some people using swordtails also, but haven't tried that myself!
Greg

nightlife31 said:
well, these pufferfish are pretty funny and cost the same as mollie's.

btw, to be certain we talk about the same fish, what is the Latin name of the molly you talk about?

greetz, rutger

All puffers salt or brackish have a lethal neural toxin. Don't feed them they will kill everything in the tank.

the other reason for avoiding puffers is that they are a somewhat pugnacious animal, chewing and chewing all day long (as it were) on everything in the tank, and are certainly not above taking a nip or two out of an octopus.
Sailfin mollies are just perfect for cycling, and if your octo doesn't eat them, they look kind of nice in the tank.
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back