• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting To Know Me

Shrimpy Brains;158005 said:
Hi Chris, I just found and read thru your thread. I really enjoyed all the info. I was sad to read that you lost your baby and look forward to your continued post and your next bimac! Thanks for sharing! I'll be staying tuned in!

Thanks Shrimpy Brains. I really appreciate all the support everyone is giving me.

An Interesting Experiment?

Hi Guys and Gals (If you'll pardon a forties expression),

I have a slight dilemma. All suggested solutions to this dilemma will be most gratefully appreciated. While waiting for my son to get me another baby bimac (Joe-Ceph has also graciously and generously offered to try and secure me a baby bimac), my oldest daughter Cory bought me a beautiful trigger fish for Father's Day. She said it was sad to keep looking at my empty aquarium.

Although I greatly appreciate her gesture, I had no idea she was going to do that. I acclimated the fish and it is taking very well to its new home. It really seems to love the PVC tunnel I built for the octopus, which makes a perfect retreat when it may feel threatened.

However, if I should acquire a baby bimac, what do I do? This trigger appears to be a Niger or Redtooth Trigger, which is said to be one of the least aggressive of the trigger fish. And I feel that it would be unlikely a baby bimac would attack a fish about as big as itself. If anything, I think an inexperienced baby bimac would be afraid of the trigger and try to find some place to hide. Do I dare risk putting them together in a small 20 gallon tank? As Yul Brenner might say, "Tiz a puzzlement!".

Anyway, please comment on the situation.

:old:

I've never kept a trigger fish, but I've kept three small fish with my bimac, and while it took months, the octopus eventually ate them all. If the balance of power were in the favor of the fish, I suspect that the octopus would eventually be dinner. Even if they didn't eat each other, the trigger is tropical and wants a temp between 74 and 79. The bimac wants a colder temperature range (60 to 70). I guess if you kept the tank at 72, they'd each be unhappy, but probably live. Another problem is space. Trigger fish get big (up to 20 inches) and will eventually (quickly?) outgrow a 20 gallon tank.

Maybe your best plan would be to drop in a heater, and keep the trigger until somebody gets you a small bimac (which might take a few months). Then, remove the heater, sell the fish back to the LFS (for 50% of it's purchase price (in store credit)??) and put in the octopus. The advantage is that your tank won't be empty, and the trigger poop will help build up your population of nitrifying bacteria so that when you swap the trigger out for a bimac, your bio-filter will already be able to deal with the load.

Yes Joe, I agree with you. My daughter certainly didn't think her actions through. Of course, she was just thinking how nice to buy Dad a saltwater fish for his empty tank (empty except for the two small hermit crabs which helped me cycle the tank). Keeping the trigger warm will be no problem because it is much too warm in my bedroom where I keep my aquarium. That's going to be a problem if I get a bimac because I can't afford a chiller. Seems as if I'm just not meant to go back to keeping an octopus.

Now, my question is, how does one go about selling back a fish when it outgrows its tank? My daughter bought the trigger at Petco, but I don't know where the receipt is so even if Petco buys back fish, they probably wouldn't without the receipt.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts on the matter.

Chris

Hi Chris!
I would call them and ask, prearrange it so when you are ready you won't be scrambling. Just a side note: my brother had a 200 gallon african cichlid tank, it sprung a leek. He needed to find a place for all his fish, 30-40 some very large and some babies. He sold them all to Aquarium Adventure. (Petco) One example of them buying fish they didn't even sell. If they are not willing to take it back you could check with other shops or try to sell it through a local club. It was a very nice gesture on your daughter to make however those not actually in the hobby don't always understand what can coexsist in the same tank. I hate having an empty tank in-between so I keep peppermint shrimp and some pretty soft corals. My current octoups seems to be eating my shrimp this time around, 5 or 6 have dissapeared :sad:

I haven't bought animals from a fish store in over twenty years (I catch my own bimacs and tank mates) but I suspect the typical store policies haven't changed. Fish stores will typically buy "used" fish from people who walk in. They generally pay 1/2 of their retail price of a comparable fish, but they "pay" you in store credit, not in real money. They are happy to do it, because they end up paying less for the fish than they would from their supplier, so they don't care where you got the fish or long you've had it, and they don't need to see a receipt.

Not Meant To Be

Lmecher;160533 said:
Hi Chris, it's been a while, how is the tank doing? The search for a bimac? Hope you are well :smile:

:roll: Hi to all those who took a kind interest in my bimac adventures. I really apprciate your support.

It looks as if I shall not be enjoying the companionship of a bimac anytime soon. My son just sort of avoids the situation and I can't really blame him because it is quite an inconvienence to trek all the way out here with a bimac after a hectic fishing day. And, as I've said before, my conscience won't let me order one on line and subject an intelligent and sensitive creature like that to the stress of a shipping container.

I've decided to head in another direction. Quite some years ago I acquired a Dardanus Megistos hermit crab. At the time I thought it was just another hermit crab, but soon discovered what an interesting creature it is. I enjoyed its antics for over a year during which time it grew to be quite large. Last night I ordered another one from Oceanpro Aquatics in Chino. I think I will investigate breeding possibilities there. I will be glad to get any suggestions as to a forum on hermit crabs. :read:

In any event, thank you all and I will be quick to post if I should acquire another bimac. :razz:

Starting in November, and really heating up in December and January, there are lots of really low daytime tides. Then I'll probably be able to find you a bimac. I drive past your house every 6 weeks or so, and I'd be happy to drop one off if I can catch one within a few days of one of those trips. I'd say there's an 80% chance that I'd be able to get you a bimac between November and January. Do you want me to try? I'll be looking for bimacs anyway, just for fun, and either releasing them after a photo op, or holding one for you, so it's not an inconvenience, but it's not a sure thing either.

Hope Springs Eternal

Joe-Ceph;161549 said:
Starting in November, and really heating up in December and January, there are lots of really low daytime tides. Then I'll probably be able to find you a bimac. I drive past your house every 6 weeks or so, and I'd be happy to drop one off if I can catch one within a few days of one of those trips. I'd say there's an 80% chance that I'd be able to get you a bimac between November and January. Do you want me to try? I'll be looking for bimacs anyway, just for fun, and either releasing them after a photo op, or holding one for you, so it's not an inconvenience, but it's not a sure thing either.

Yeah Joe, that would be great. Maybe by then I'll be able to save enough money to buy a larger tank and equipment. Although I don't know where I might put it. My space is very limited.

In any event, thank you for your efforts.

I guess I'll wait until I catch one, and if you don't want it I'll post some pictuers on the "octopus availability" thread and see if anyone wants to make a road trip to San Diego for a free bimac.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back