Getting To Know Me

ChrisMohrSr

Cuttlefish
Registered
Baby Has Arrived

:old:Last evening my son brought me a baby bimac. It's the cutest thing you ever saw.
Dispite my instructions, my son did not provide anything for the poor little creature to hide in, so by the time it got here it must have been scared almost to death. I immediately added a teaspoon of AmQuel Plus to the industrial size bucket in which he transported the octopus and several ghost shrimp. I then transferred the tiny octo to a Country Crock Shedd's Spread container for acclimation, which made acclimation much easier than doing it in the huge bucket. In the Shedd's Spread containerI placed one of the many huge shells I keep for red hermit crabs to grow into. In a few minutes the little one realized that the shell was a safe haven and quickly entered it. This made putting the animal into the aquarium much less stressful because when I felt that it was acclimated I could just pick up the shell and place it into the tank, which is what I did. I then put out the lights.

This morning the little one was still in the shell. I guess it will take awhile for it to get up enough courage to venture out and explore its surroundings. When it does, I will start snapping photos and post them. :old:

Great! How big do you think his mantle is?

I'm interested in finding another bimac too. Can you post some specifics on how your son caught it? My method is to go out at low tide and look under rocks in a few inches of water (in tide pools). The lowest tides were only about -0.1 feet this weekend, which I wouldn't think was low enough for my method, so I'm curious about what he did?

Congrats on the new little guy! If he is real small then it will take a while for them to come out. I got mine with about a 1 in mantle and it took him about 1.5 months to come out. It does take longer for little octos to come out(correct me if i am wrong) i think. Got any pics?

ChrisMohrSr

Cuttlefish
Registered
:old: Joe-Ceph, Lmecher, jblystone, Monty, bluespotocto:

Thanks for the support guys.

The mantle couldn't be more than two inches Joe. I will send my son an email and ask him what his octopus catching procedure is. I think this one was caught by my two granddaughters. They go fishing with him a lot. I will be posting a picture of them on another occasion when they went fishing and met up with a baby octo.

No jblystone, I haven't thought of a name yet. I will have to give that some serious consideration.

Wow bluespotocto, one and a half months to come out. Can they really survive without food for that long?

Well, when it does decide to come out of that shell and :old:explore its surroundings, I will be there with my camera. :old:

I guess i said that kinda wrong. Mine didnt come out in the full open. He just sat there and watched every thing. I would just drop a crab in front of his den to feed him. It is kinda weird because i even tried to fast him to get him to come out. He still didnt come out. It might just be my octo that does that. Good luck with your little fellow

Latest Posts