• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting To Know Me

ChrisMohrSr;149716 said:
I have kept three bimacs at about 75 degrees with no apparent ill affects or discomfort. However, I agree that 60 degrees might be more comfortable for the animal, but in my case that would take a chiller and my Social Security check can't make the cost. Do you know where I could obtain a chiller at a reasonable Social Security price?

From what I've read online, I suspect that a bimac will survive at 75 degrees, but live "faster" (eat more metabolize it faster, and reach the end of its life sooner). That's not a show stopper by any means, and may not be worth the price of a chiller - your call. Another reason for a chiller is that it will allow you to keep other things in the tank too, that might not be as tollerant to heat as a bimac.

I've gotten two good used chillers from craigslist, one from the "inland empire" craigslist, not too far from you. I got a 1/4 hp for $200 ,and a 1/5 hp for $150, both JBJ Arctica brand (good brand). It took me a few weeks of looking to find those deals, but it's doable. I figure that my chiller costs me about $18/mo in electricity to run, so calculate that into the cost.

Is your tank really only 20 gallons? People here generally recommend at least a 50 gallon tank for a bimac, since they can get big (I keep mine in a 60 gallon at 57 degrees)

Cool tank!! Good luck! I like the rock in there, haven't seen anyone do that before, but it's a neat idea as long as you don't get detritus stuck in there. Is your only filtration a canister filter? If so, I'd suggest working on getting a skimmer, preferably a hang on back in your case. I forsee serious nitrate problems in this tank in the future if you aren't careful, but I wish you good luck!

Joe-Ceph;149792 said:
From what I've read online, I suspect that a bimac will survive at 75 degrees, but live "faster" (eat more metabolize it faster, and reach the end of its life sooner). That's not a show stopper by any means, and may not be worth the price of a chiller - your call. Another reason for a chiller is that it will allow you to keep other things in the tank too, that might not be as tollerant to heat as a bimac.

I've gotten two good used chillers from craigslist, one from the "inland empire" craigslist, not too far from you. I got a 1/4 hp for $200 ,and a 1/5 hp for $150, both JBJ Arctica brand (good brand). It took me a few weeks of looking to find those deals, but it's doable. I figure that my chiller costs me about $18/mo in electricity to run, so calculate that into the cost.

Is your tank really only 20 gallons? People here generally recommend at least a 50 gallon tank for a bimac, since they can get big (I keep mine in a 60 gallon at 57 degrees)

:old::old::old:I guess the best way to keep an octopus all depends on what you read, what you believe and your own experience doing it.
Here is an article that seems to support what I know from my personal experience with bimacs.

Octopus.bimaculoides is in my opinion the best species of octopus you can keep.
There are so many things going for it that to be honest , there are no other species common to the market that are as well suited to aquarium life. The moderate size, abundant supply and hardy nature, diurnal habits and not being prone to crawl out of the tank, make it tuff to beat. This species personality is perhaps my favorite feature of this incredible animal. They can be very social.

Octopus.bimaculoides is known under the common names" pacific mud flat octopus, california two spotted octopus, and in the chat forums bimac. It gets its name from the the false eye spots under each real eye known as ocellus. In O.bimaculoides the ocellus is a iridescent blue chain link circle set in a circle of black. In the wild this species ranges from the mid California coast extending down to Mexico. It is a intertidal species that can be found from the low tide zone to subtidal depths of about 20 meters.
Water temperture for this species in captivity can range from 60F to 79F with 70F to 74F being a ideal easy to keep temp with out the aid of a chiller in most AC equipt houses.
This species has a sibling species called Octopus.bimaculatus. This species grows twice as large and lives in deeper water than O. bimaculoides, therefore making it harder to collect and less frequent in the aquarium trade.

Size wise O.bimaculoides can grow to have a mantle length upto 20cm and a arm length of 2.5-3.5 times the mantle length. The average size in the home aquarium I have seen is a mantle the size of a lemon and a arm span of 24" at the adult stage. O.bimaculoides is a perfect octopus for tank sizes 30 gallon and up. O.bimaculatus gets to be at least twice that size and would need a 75 gallon tank or up. Like I said before though your chance of encountering this species is slim even if you tried to locate one. If you do find a reliable source let me know.

Wild caught specimens are caught year around. From September though winter is breeding season. If you get medium to large specimens during these months and get a female, there is a good chance she will be gravid. Female octopuses have the ability to store sperm for several months before using it. One thing I want to touch up on here is if you order a octopus from any where unless it is a captive breed baby there is no way for your supplier to know if it is gravid. This is the chance you take when buying and keeping octopuses. So please have mercy on the venders and accept this risk. Species from across the globe lay eggs at different times of the year.

Octopus.bimaculoides is a terrific octopus to keep. I have never had any problem
with them trying to escape or showing any interest to. I have talked to countless other
owners of this species and have found they feel the same way about it's lack of
interest to escape. This is a big plus when keeping a octopus. Feeding this species is
very easy. It will readily accept thawed frozen shrimp as a source of food. Even at a
very young age non live food is accepted. Clams, muscles, small crabs, crayfish,
snails are some of the favorite foods of this species.

It looks like the author of that article has at least as much experience as I do (I've kept two bimacs) and I can't dispute anything he says. I've decided to go the chiller route, mostly because I also keep strawberry anemones, which definitely need a chiller. I also try to mimic the natural conditions as much as possible. So few people have kept bimacs (compared to tropical fish and corals) that we are like pioneers, inventing best practices as we go along. I think we need to experiment with different husbandry techniques to learn what the results are. Most people that have kept bimacs have kept them at room temp, so clearly that works. I still suspect (based on what I've read on tonmo about the experiences of a few others) that they live longer if kept around 60-65 degrees and fed sparingly. Even if that is true, avoiding the expense, noise, and added complexity of a chiller will easily be worth a moderately shorter life span to many people.

Joe-Ceph;149984 said:
It looks like the author of that article has at least as much experience as I do (I've kept two bimacs) and I can't dispute anything he says. I've decided to go the chiller route, mostly because I also keep strawberry anemones, which definitely need a chiller. I also try to mimic the natural conditions as much as possible. So few people have kept bimacs (compared to tropical fish and corals) that we are like pioneers, inventing best practices as we go along. I think we need to experiment with different husbandry techniques to learn what the results are. Most people that have kept bimacs have kept them at room temp, so clearly that works. I still suspect (based on what I've read on tonmo about the experiences of a few others) that they live longer if kept around 60-65 degrees and fed sparingly. Even if that is true, avoiding the expense, noise, and added complexity of a chiller will easily be worth a moderately shorter life span to many people.

:old:You are a wise and open minded man Joe and I agree with you completely. I hope we all can further the understanding and proper care of these magnificent creatures. I am filled with sadness when I think of how people can consume octopodes with no thought of how intelligent the creature was that they are eating. It's almost akin to cannabillism.

I am also on the same page as you joe. Right now i am on my second bimac and i am learning more and more about them every day. I have a chiller like joe said is to keep it as natural as possible. Want i want to do is change the temp of the tank as the water warms and cools, So it is like nature then. We are like the christopher Columbus's of the bimacs (except for killing many natives and being ruthless).

:old:I am still cycling my tank in preparation for my baby octopus. I expect to acquire my future friend sometime in April or May and I shall report on the joyous occasion with some photos and commentary.

Great to see your tank is set up and underway. I look forward to following along when you finally aquire your bimac. Experience is the best teacher and you my friend have much to offer, so glad you are here :biggrin2:

:old:Thank you Lmecher. I appreciate your interest. It will be so gratifying to have another octopus. I know I would never have had another one if it meant subjecting it to the rigors of rough handling while being caught and the nightmare of shipping, but since my son can obtain a baby with a minimum of stress being placed upon the animal, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. If only more people could understand how sensitive and shy these creatures are, the ignorance of their proper care and handling would be so much less.

Photos and details will be forthcoming.

:old:My tank is cycled. I have sent an email to my son asking him to get me a baby octopus from one of his fishing sites.

I will post details and, hopefully, pictures when it arrives.

Baby Has Arrived

:old:Last evening my son brought me a baby bimac. It's the cutest thing you ever saw.
Dispite my instructions, my son did not provide anything for the poor little creature to hide in, so by the time it got here it must have been scared almost to death. I immediately added a teaspoon of AmQuel Plus to the industrial size bucket in which he transported the octopus and several ghost shrimp. I then transferred the tiny octo to a Country Crock Shedd's Spread container for acclimation, which made acclimation much easier than doing it in the huge bucket. In the Shedd's Spread containerI placed one of the many huge shells I keep for red hermit crabs to grow into. In a few minutes the little one realized that the shell was a safe haven and quickly entered it. This made putting the animal into the aquarium much less stressful because when I felt that it was acclimated I could just pick up the shell and place it into the tank, which is what I did. I then put out the lights.

This morning the little one was still in the shell. I guess it will take awhile for it to get up enough courage to venture out and explore its surroundings. When it does, I will start snapping photos and post them. :old:

Great! How big do you think his mantle is?

I'm interested in finding another bimac too. Can you post some specifics on how your son caught it? My method is to go out at low tide and look under rocks in a few inches of water (in tide pools). The lowest tides were only about -0.1 feet this weekend, which I wouldn't think was low enough for my method, so I'm curious about what he did?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back