getting a cephalopod-y PhD!

Quite possibly - I believe that there is a copyrighting fee associated with the deposit procedure, I am unclear on whether this is effectively you purchasing the copyright from the university or sharing it with them or something different. Maybe we have a copyright lawyer lurking on here somewhere!

Like Jean, my impression was that the entire work could not be published elsewhere, but papers derived from the thesis can be published by the author without needing further permission.

Monty - I think ILL will obtain entire theses from the university library if you request them. I think these days they keep a electronic copy as a pdf as well so this is probably the format that gets sent.

What Robyn said!!!!

I asked our science librarian and she said that they'd send it electronically as a pdf but you wouldn't be allowed to print a copy without my permission!!!!

Weird, the Uni owns the copyright but the authors permission is required before entire prints can be made.

As far as papers go thats OK because it's not a reproduction of the entire thing and a thesis is not officially published so it's OK with the journals, plus chapters are usually substantially changed before papers (Mine will have to be :biggrin2: no journal is going to take a 60 page article!)

J

Jean,
GO for the diet study! Then let us know how to get your findings. It is scientific and has useful practical application for hobbiests! Of particular interest would be vitamins and minerals in the natural diet and longevity (always a hobbiest interest, of course) in diets lacking or containing different elements. Just a thought.:biggrin2:

dwhatley;112013 said:
Jean,
GO for the diet study! Then let us know how to get your findings. It is scientific and has useful practical application for hobbiests! Of particular interest would be vitamins and minerals in the natural diet and longevity (always a hobbiest interest, of course) in diets lacking or containing different elements. Just a thought.:biggrin2:

I did "do" diet as part of my PhD, so I have a reasonable (I think) handle on what these squid eat in the wild (anything they can get their arms on :roll:). Major prey items are Krill (Nyctiphanes australis), mesopelagic fish such as common lanternfish (Lampanyctodes hectoris), Pearlside (Maurolicus muelleri) amongst others and each other!!!!! Uncommon things I found, crab babies (megalopa), snail, bivalve veligers (larvae) and some form of sygnathid (either pipefish or seahorse, they were too chewed to tell and the squid had bitten right through the otolith chamber, so there were no otos for an ID). The snail, crab babies and bivalve larvae I suspect were secondary digestion (i. e. prey of the squids prey!). The bivalves in particular were only ever found with the sygnathid remains.

But there is more to be done!!!!!

J

Jean;111923 said:
It's a shame but we're not allowed to (are you Robyn?) the university owns the copyright and they won't allow online publication of the entire thing.

That's odd; all of our theses are online in entirety, automatically. My opinion is that it is better to get this information online as fast as possible. It is so difficult to find the time to publish these days, with the endless administrative tasks that have to be done.

Steve O'Shea;112030 said:
That's odd; all of our theses are online in entirety, automatically. My opinion is that it is better to get this information online as fast as possible. It is so difficult to find the time to publish these days, with the endless administrative tasks that have to be done.

I agree, but Otago is a bit archaic in this respect. If I obey the strict letter of the University law I'd have to get HOD permission before giving out my findings over the phone or on in this forum. Fortunately our HOD is a bit more progressive and certainly doesn't want to be bothered every time we talk about our research!!!!! Anyway I won't tell if you don't :biggrin2:

J

Robyn, in the US, your institution will give you a form to fill out with a check for you to file copyright. It's usually recommended but not required. Most universities have guidelines for preparing to deposit your thesis in the library. The guidelines will include instructions for copyright and where to include the copyright page.

Jean;112027 said:
The bivalves in particular were only ever found with the sygnathid remains.
J

Did I read your thinking right? The seahorses/pipefish ate clams or visa versa. The forum I read suggests not to mix them for fear of the horses getting caught accidentally ( I have not seen anyone report this to have happened) but I have not seen any suggestion that bi-valves are sygnathid food.

I was thinking more in terms of what the various food supplies (calcium and B vitamins come to mind fatty acids are about all that you see in print) rather than the actual items ingested.

dwhatley;112099 said:
Did I read your thinking right? The seahorses/pipefish ate clams or visa versa. The forum I read suggests not to mix them for fear of the horses getting caught accidentally ( I have not seen anyone report this to have happened) but I have not seen any suggestion that bi-valves are sygnathid food.

I was thinking more in terms of what the various food supplies (calcium and B vitamins come to mind fatty acids are about all that you see in print) rather than the actual items ingested.

I was inferring that the sygnathid ate bivalve larvae, not adult bivalves.

- M

Here are some pics of the baby bivalves and the sygnathids

the bivalve larvae are very magnified and were in reality about 0.4 mm long the sygnathid head length was about 10 mm long.

J

Attachments

• conv_292405.jpg
    conv_292405.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_292406.jpg
    conv_292406.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_292407.jpg
    conv_292407.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 87
Well, now I feel a bit stupid :oops: larvae makes sense. I was having a hard time with adult consumption either way.

Now I wish I could more variety in pelagic food! The "sea butterflys" would be so much more interesting than pods in a tank (might be a bid difficult to feed them out though if they are as "cute" as the video).

Any chance the pipe/horse was also from the stomach of the prey and not part of the original consumption? Makes for interesting food chain thinking

Don't worry D I didn't express myself at all well!

I don't think the sygnathids were secondary prey as I never found them associated with any other item large enough to have eaten them (other than the squid in whose belly they were residing :biggrin2:). Generally they were only associated with the baby bivalves and krill.

J

robyn;111992 said:
Monty - I think ILL will obtain entire theses from the university library if you request them. I think these days they keep a electronic copy as a pdf as well so this is probably the format that gets sent.

I finally got around to emailing one of the Caltech librarians in my curiosity about your thesis, and this was her response:

Hmmm… It does seem odd if what you say is true… that CUNY claims the copyright and has such rules. Each university can establish the rules it wishes though. There’s always a fee for the service of borrowing. When did your friend finish her thesis? It’s not in Dissertation Abstracts yet that I could tell. I’m not sure what to recommend as a course of action. You might suggest to your friend that she lend you one of her personal printed copies. That would not violate CUNY rules, I don’t think.

I found this info:

Requesting a Copy of a CUNY Doctoral Thesis: The best way to obtain a copy of a doctoral thesis published by CUNY is to go through your local library. Your campus or public librarian may request a thesis copy from the CUNY Graduate Center using InterLibrary Loan. Please note that all copies are provided on microfilm only. The current ILL contact at the Grad Center is Professor Beth Posner (email) at (212) 817-7051.

I hope something here helps.

and while I was writing this post, she followed up with

Actually, you are mostly right. The ILL office does run into the situation where a thesis has to be purchased. It’s that way at MIT for example. Some require that it’s purchased through Dissertation Abstracts (was UMicrofilms… now Proquestia). So, the office does jump through the hoops required. I asked how new her thesis is, because normally, the easiest way to go is to purchase it.

To me the most startling aspect is that the author is not allowed any rights to their own thesis.

On this page you can see how few (R and date is for “electronic thesis submission Required and the date) do what we and Virginia Tech do.

http://www.ndltd.org/members/index.en.html

This seems completely nuts... what's the point of having universities and libraries and graduate programs if they prevent dissemination of research results. And microfilm?!?! That's only slightly less insane than sending it on clay tablets!

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the CUNY librarians get a commission every time someone pays through interlibrary loan. Surely, making it this hard to get a thesis won't make the university much money, because most interested people would just give up rather than order an ILL microfilm or an expensive bound copy...

I was also sort of astounded that the Caltech librarian wasn't aware of this as a common problem-- admittedly, PhD theses are not common reading in most places, but I'd think that at least someone would want to glance at the PhD theses of faculty candidates and postdoc applicants...

I assume that as a random schmuck, I should not ask Caltech to pay for however much such an acquisition would cost just to read this for fun... :tongue: :banghead:

- M

yeah, add me to the list of people stunned they still use microfilm....ridiculous Dark-Age weirdos...

(BTW, my thesis will not actually be deposited until the 30th of April - visa stuff, oddly enough - however if you would like a copy I would be more than happy to send you a .pdf of a current version). Seriously, it will be the most boring thing you have ever read.

I did succeed in having the first paper from it accepted last week - I will post some details of the issue number once I know them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back