getting a cephalopod-y PhD!

any news on getting your thesis online? I'm still excited to hear how you managed to set up the behavioral studies!

It's a shame but we're not allowed to (are you Robyn?) the university owns the copyright and they won't allow online publication of the entire thing.

Now Dr Robyn (& me) you just have to write papers :twisted:

No, I don't think so, alas. I'm hoping that I will shortly have at least one, maybe two, pdfs I can share once (if!) they make it through review and out the other side. I'll keep you posted....

Thanks again for all the congratulations, everyone (good luck Greg!).

Now, to find that cephalopod-y post-doc......

Jean;111923 said:
It's a shame but we're not allowed to (are you Robyn?) the university owns the copyright and they won't allow online publication of the entire thing.

Now Dr Robyn (& me) you just have to write papers :twisted:

That just seems crazy to me... Caltech, among other good schools, requires that PhD theses are available online: http://etd.caltech.edu/

I don't understand what universities think they gain by hiding their students' work... surely they don't make much money selling print copies-- and unless the quality of PhD theses is bad, having the theses online to show what good quality students their good quality programs put out should draw more good students, so it would be beneficial to any school that has reasonable standards and programs. And it's not as if there are trade secrets to protect: anyone who wants to can order a print copy, it's just a pain, costs a bit, and doesn't have the "instant gratification" of being able to read it immediately.

Well, I think ours is something to do with the library - they have it on some sort of inter-library database but I think they frown on online copies. I admit that I'm not certain about that though - Caltech sounds much more reasonable to me!

Jean - what sort of thing are you looking for? I am in post-doc hunting paralysis as I can't decide whether to go 'downwards' from behaviour to a neuroscience lab, or 'upwards' to a behavioural ecology or evolution lab. Argh! It all too hard.....

robyn;111955 said:
Well, I think ours is something to do with the library - they have it on some sort of inter-library database but I think they frown on online copies. I admit that I'm not certain about that though - Caltech sounds much more reasonable to me!

Same here and I know Otago frowns upon online copies, we get several missives a year about copyright and infringements!

robyn;111955 said:
Jean - what sort of thing are you looking for? I am in post-doc hunting paralysis as I can't decide whether to go 'downwards' from behaviour to a neuroscience lab, or 'upwards' to a behavioural ecology or evolution lab. Argh! It all too hard.....

I don't know! My interests are in chronobiology and diet but I'd also like to look at aquaculture of ommastrephids, speciation in midget octopus etc etc.................this is why I'm taking a semester as teaching fellow to try and get my head round it all :roll:

J

can we try an experiment?

I'm some guy, affiliated with an academic institution, who has no money (not a stretch), in California, who would like to read both of your theses. How do they expect me to do it? Interlibrary loan? Would the Otago library mail a physical copy of the Jean's thesis from NZ to California? Maybe they just don't care if I can read your thesis ('cause I'm just some schmuck) but what if you were applying for a postdoc with someone at Caltech who wanted to read your thesis as part of that evaluation?

Anyway, the proposed experiment: go to your librarian. say "there is someone at Caltech who wants to read my thesis." (you don't have to mention that I'm unpaid volunteer staff in the CS department.) Ask what the procedure for that would be. If it doesn't involve me spending money, I'm happy to try it and see following the procedure results in me having a copy of both of your theses in my hands and/or on my hard drive and/or in my web browser (if I'm allowed to read it but not save it or something).

Does that experiment appeal to your scientific curiosity (investigating the stimulus-response behavior of the institutional library system)?

Alternatively, I could just ask the Caltech library how to get your theses and try the experiment from this end... are they both completely approved and available at your local libraries yet?

I am really mystified that the uni owns the copyright. In my experience in the US, the institution will file the copyright paperwork but you can pay for the rights (filing fees, as I understood it) and retain the copyright yourself.

A practical question: If you publish various versions of your chapters, do you have to ask permission from the university to do so?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back