From Florida

Hi gang, just started entertaining the possibility of getting an octopus yesterday, so I'm still pretty lost :smile: I live in Tallahassee Florida and have a 60 gallon tank that has been used for cichlids that I'm just getting bored with. I was going to turn it into a predator tank since I already have a 125 salt reef tank. Then the owner of our local fish store who specializes in just saltwater tanks said that I would really enjoy an octopus. So, that's where I'm at :nyah:

It seems like the bimac is a favorite for captivity, how's the florida octo rate? I would guess being in Florida he might be easier to obtain. So any opinions or great articles that you can direct me to would be most appreciated. After reading through the forums this seems like a super friendly bunch of people, what a relief from many other web forums.

~Mickey

visionteacher;123394 said:
Hi gang, just started entertaining the possibility of getting an octopus yesterday, so I'm still pretty lost :smile: I live in Tallahassee Florida and have a 60 gallon tank that has been used for cichlids that I'm just getting bored with. I was going to turn it into a predator tank since I already have a 125 salt reef tank. Then the owner of our local fish store who specializes in just saltwater tanks said that I would really enjoy an octopus. So, that's where I'm at :nyah:

It seems like the bimac is a favorite for captivity, how's the florida octo rate? I would guess being in Florida he might be easier to obtain. So any opinions or great articles that you can direct me to would be most appreciated. After reading through the forums this seems like a super friendly bunch of people, what a relief from many other web forums.

~Mickey

:welcome: to TONMO! Actually, bimacs are relatively few and far between these days, so Florida octos are easier to come by. Briareus is a local octo that's pretty interactive and fun, but while people have kept them in a 55gal, they seem to like a lot of space, so some owners have said they'd seem better in a 75gal or larger... The other local species are either dwarf species (small, very shy and noctournal) or too big (vulgaris), so if you want local, briareus is probably the way to go. Some other octos that do well in tanks of that size that are showing up a lot for sale are hummelincki and aculeatus.

Does "visionteacher" mean you're involved in education? If this is an educational, rather than personal, project, you have a few more options for ordering from suppliers that collect for research & education.

Hey thanks for the info so far. Yes Visionteacher does mean education, I actually teach kids that are visually impaired. I wouldn't be getting the octopus for purely educational purposes though I use most my critters for educational functions here and there if that makes sense. What avenues are available to educators?? Thanks!

Hey, welcome to TONMO.

I have an O. briareus currently that I was able to obtain as a baby from a collector there in Florida. Definitely a fun octopus to keep. And I'm one of those folks who would say a 55 is just too small. I think my 75 is a bit small but it's working out. I think Dwhatley's "Octane" came from Florida also. There are people who find O. mercatoris occasionally on the beach there also.

I believe the advantage Monty was referring to would be the NRCC. They research cephalopods and supply qualified people also.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back