• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Freshwater Ghost Shrimp as food?

hmmmm interesting.... my lil piggy ate a fresh water guppy and ghost shrimp in the same day now seems a lil lazy..... was wondering why...

what kind of crabs would you feed then?

milchy said:
10minutes from the beach.

can you not have a wee crab catching expedition, there would likely be marine shrimps in rock pools etc too. A baited fish trap (a small one!!) can also be used to catch a variety of crusty scavengers, also going out at night with a bright torch and a dip net should be profitable!!

J

well it seems that ghost shrimp are more of a snack then a good meal... junk food for cuttles.

mine is at an odd size now..... a lil too big for pods, but not ready for bigger crabs (are fiddlers ok, or something else?)

ones, but how do you get them out of their shells..... without killing them (killed one tryin :frown: )

what are you trying to get out of it's shell??????? A crab??????? (excuse if this is a dumb question I haven't had enough :coffee: yet!!) If its a regular crab you will always kill it getting it out of the shell!!! If a hermit you can drill a small hole in the back of the shell and tickle the crab with a clean paintbrush or place it in a container of seawater and then place the container of seawater in another one with hot water in it. The crabs will climb out of their shells (we do this to have high school students study shell selection in Hermits)

With regular crabs your cuttle should be able to deal with the shell itself!!

J

yea sorry... hehe hermit crabs.. i tried to get one out and i killed it... then managed to get another out but there was a small peice of shell my cuttle wanted to eat it, but didnt...... was almost pokin at it, kept feeling it up with one arm..... then i got another hemit out safe and sound and put it in, but now the cuttle had no interest in it. :frown: i am goin ot go hunting today for some small shore crabs.... mine is getting too big for pods.

How big is your cuttle right now? From your description it sounds like shore crabs would do fine, if you know any place which sells live saltwater baitfish, those would do great as well (provided they're not copper-treated). I noticed that some hermits will crawl out of their shells if held in the air for a minute or two.

yea, i was able to get the hermit out, but the cuttle was not too interested.

i was able to find some small shore crabs. i put one in last night....... WOW the cuttle seemed to like it..... hehe

My Cuttle is about 3/4" long now.. maybe bigger. Seems to be doing well... Pods seem a little too small for it, but hard to find small enough crabs. It is sort of in-between being able to eat crabs and still needing Pods. but since i was able to find tiny crabs i am feedin a mixture of booth.

Mine came from Righty via Paradox, i have had it since Aug 2nd, it was around 3 weeks old then. So i guess it is close to 2 months old.

maybe a little late but I have found a quick way to get those pesky hermits out of their shells is to get a lighter. If you heat up the point of the shell they will crawl out the other side really quick. They get out before they get burned so dont worrie about hurting therm (before you make them food)

Chip

good idea... it didnt seem too interested in deshelled hermits, it went after the first normal crab very fast, but now seems uninterested in crabs... so still on pods..... for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back