• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Freshwater Ghost Shrimp as food?

milchy

Cuttlefish
Registered
As I setup my new cuttle tank. I thought about turning my current 10gal freshwater tank into a "food farm" where i can keep~breed ghost shrimp as food.

These can be fed as food can they not?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Hi Milchy,

Sorry but it's a bad idea to feed freshwater critters to marine ones, they tend to be too fatty and have other nutritional problems too. Generally speaking feed marine to marine and fresh to fresh!!

Cheers

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Not off the top of my head, although I have read about this somewhere (I will look it up but my memory..................?) It'a also from personal experience and from the collected notes of a 75 year old public aquarium. Our marine animals at the aquarium do very poorly on freshwater food, they don't gain weight (often they lose it!) they become lethargic and more infection prone.........they just don't stay as healthy.

J

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Thanks Jean,

I believe that is my experience too (it may be the case with frozen food long term as well) - I would just love to see something non anecdotal about it! :biggrin2:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Again anecdotal - but a friend who has a lot of experience with rearing marines had similar problems using freshwater gammarus compared to the marine species.

sry to steal the thread, but octopets sells saltwater molies, would you feel those would be a sound live food as the main staple of the cuttles diet.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I think that fish is fine as a supplement but not as a staple diet. Its such a shame that cuttles are so tricky when it comes to feeding :frown: really, live shrimps and crabs are the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak