• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Found a 2-spot Octo in tidepools today; question

another interesting thing to note: i was asking a female marine biologist @ Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, CA what the best diet is for an octo.

She told me crabs, but when i complained about how expensive they are, she suggested going right out the door onto cabrillo beach and collecting shore crabs. Never made any mention that it was illegal. An octopus, i can believe, but crabs?

interesting too that octos aren't OK to take but crabs are? they're both inverts...thx for the tip though, i hope mine lives a good while so i dont have to risk arrest snagging another (and touching the sh*tty water!)

socal_saltwater;88950 said:
another interesting thing to note: i was asking a female marine biologist @ Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, CA what the best diet is for an octo.

She told me crabs, but when i complained about how expensive they are, she suggested going right out the door onto cabrillo beach and collecting shore crabs. Never made any mention that it was illegal. An octopus, i can believe, but crabs?

I used to work at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, many years ago... :silenced:

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
I usually don't have to deal with this red-tape because each year I apply for a scientific collecting permit. I have to specifiy the animals I want, pay $50, and notifiy Fish and Game prior to any collecting trips where I will be and what I will be collecting.

A few years ago I had a graduate student who let her permit lapse by a few days. She was feeding Tegula (snails) to her stomatopods and went collecting. She was stopped by a ranger, cited for collecting without a valid license, was hauled into court and fined a dollar for each snail. She had over 200!

This is one of the reasons I take the process very seriously.

Roy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Feeder crab tank

Social Saltwater,

I keep fiddler crabs for trapper which I assume are similar to your shore crabs. Unfortunately, I have to buy mine and have them shipped since I am in-land. I have a two gallon tank subdivided into 1 gallon halves (I don't know that this matters :roll: but I keep 10 on each side) with a small nano filter - carbon filter pad only but constant circulation - a piece of lava rock in each 1 gallon section and a small light over the entire tank. The rock is positioned to allow the crabs to come out of the water when they choose but I keep the water low enough so that they cannot easily escape (I have had one or two "disappear" over the course of almost 3 months - one was reclaimed from the kitchen some 20 feet away). I feed them a small amount of marine fish food and rarely have one die.

I have read that others use empty salt buckets with some rocks stacked to allow surface time.

There is an escapee in my octo tank that cannot easily find surface area and it seems to be doing just fine but the ones in my feeder tank do often use the sunning rock.

Neogonodactylus;88953 said:
I usually don't have to deal with this red-tape because each year I apply for a scientific collecting permit. I have to specifiy the animals I want, pay $50, and notifiy Fish and Game prior to any collecting trips where I will be and what I will be collecting.

A few years ago I had a graduate student who let her permit lapse by a few days. She was feeding Tegula (snails) to her stomatopods and went collecting. She was stopped by a ranger, cited for collecting without a valid license, was hauled into court and fined a dollar for each snail. She had over 200!

This is one of the reasons I take the process very seriously.

Roy

Roy - i sure do appreciate the head's up. now i'm dreading going back to take another octo if this one dies. $50 sounds like a bargain if you consider:

1. octos live a short-time, possibly meaning taking 2 in one year for that $50 license fee

2. alot of special order online aquarium stores have octos in the $40-$60 range anyway

i doubt they'd give me one since i'm not doing any sort of research, except for my own fun and maybe future website.

as for the crabs, yeah i'm keeping mine - which are the same as "fiddlers" - in a bucket with some seaweed, mud/sand, small amount of water + rock in it, feeding them whatever i can give them.

i'm just worried - the octo doesn't seem to be eating much, and i have my chiller down to 73. he's moving around quite a bit, breathing looks to be fine, i just don't see crab bodies or any proof of a good meal eaten!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
He's probably still a little stressed. Is there live rock in the tank? He may be getting amphipods from that.

As regards octopus vs crabs, in NZ there is animal protection legislation under which octopus (& other cephs) are defined as animals (although only in the last few years!) but crabs are not!!!!! According to the Act octopus are higher invertebrates and are therefore more likely to suffer stress from inappropriate handling....crabs apparently don't! Which is why in NZ it's still legal to drop a live rock lobster into boiling water :mad: ...........cos "it doesn't hurt it":confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Having said all that one doesn't need a permit to collect crabs or octopus..but it does pay to check fishing regulations cos the penalties are severe! Instant forfeiture of any equipment used to collect the animals (including cars, boats, SCUBA gear.....everything, even if it doesn't belong to you!), Then you may get a summons to court where the maximum penalty is fine up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to 5 years which can be for EACH species you have!..........It's really not worth it!!!

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak