• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Fossil Info Requested

Reighan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi! I'm Reighan. I haven't posted until now because there hadn't been any cephalopods in the local glacial deposits I've been studying. (I'm a beginner.)

But this one seems to be an orthoconic nautiloid?

And then there is this, which looks like aragonite. Is it some kind of cephalopod?

Any comments will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
:welcome: Reighan.

The first photo is probably an orthoconic nautiloid as you thought, a little out of focus, but it looks like septa with some cameral deposits and a siphuncle.
I dont know about the fossil in the other 3 photos, it looks more like a crinoid stem than a cephalopod shell.

Reighan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Thank you, Kevin. The material from the glacial deposit is providing an unending educational experience. So far the crinoidal things have been Carboniferous calcite-in-limestone and some Ca-Mg impressions, so the aragonite would be a new one... Thanks again!

Reighan

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Glad you made it over here Reighan, and welcome to TONMO.

Definitely a nautiloid that first one, and a nice find too. Was that your first from Wales?

Reighan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi, Phil

Just popped in and found this message. Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been bogged down with rocks and minerals. (BTW, the 'aragonite' in the non-ceph above is quartz .) (So much to learn...)
The nautiloid above was my first, and so far is the only one. Before I found that, we'd found only corals, crinoid bits, and brachiopods in Carboniferous limestone, which is why I noticed the nautiloid--because of the matrix! I'd never found anything at all in New Jersey, so the glacial drift on this beach is overwhelming (but wonderful). The more Mike & I learn, the more things we recognize and find, so... there are probably cephalopods out there somewhere. The most recent good 'un is a bit of chalk cidaroid.

ATB,
Reighan

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Well, it may be your first, but it's certainly a good place to start! Well done! Keep going, you'll get a corker one of these days, trust me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak