Flourescence in squid/octopus

kalim1998

Hatchling
Registered
Just something i am wondering about.

I just posted some information about flourescence in a mantis shrimp:
Meet Blueboard, Not Your Average Philodendron
Meet Blueboard, Not Your Average Philodendron

in a linked article someone noted that that this was the first case where a link between fluorescence and communication was found. Stomatopods have the most complex eyes in nature, and the hypothesis is that it uses this as a way to signal to other mantis shrimps.

However, i remember reading about squids (or octopus?) using flourescence for communication as well...or am i mistaken?

This is a subject that I am sorely ignorant of; I'm afraid I cannot comment, sorry. Some information can certainly be found here though : Deep-Sea Cephalopods: An Introduction and Overview

There will be others in the cephalopod community that know orders of magnitude more than I do, so I'll just have ti sit this out and hope someone responds.
Kindest
Steve

There is indeed a link, but not though florescence.
Drs. Mather, Wood, Roper, and several others, as well as us non-Doctor types, have been studying Sepioteuthis Sepioidea (Caribbean Reef Squid) in the wild off the coast of Bonaire for nearly 7 years now, and there is some very strong evidence suggesting that they do indeed use their color changing ability for mating and territorial communications.

More info can be found here:
Sorry, that's a dead link (404)

Here:
http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/Mather.html

and Here:
www.cephbase.dal.ca/refdb/pdf/7879.pdf

If you have any specific questions, feel free to let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back