Fletcher - O. Hummelincki

This is definitely the most enjoyable stage and you are on your own to see what the two of you will dream up :biggrin2:. A floating object will sometimes get their attention for awhile. SueNami played with his floating plastic ice cube for more than a month, Leggs liked an orange bobber and several of Carol's have found interesting things to do with a large leggo block (Oscar used it as a den at one point). (I have cross-refferenced names and links in post #2 on the list of our octos if you have not already seen some of these).

I have never had an octopus unscrew anything but others certainly have, filtration elements being the worst of the attempts. I would try a jar with food to see if she relates the unscrewing of the nozzle to a jar lid.

They all seem to like to sit in water flow (I wonder if it helps oxygen exchange) and we see SueNami positioning himself in the return flow and almost daily removing the cages on the Koralias.

Ok I'll try Some toys and maybe a fiddler in a container with a screw on lid. Thanks, Any advice on making sure he knows not to grab? And when she was really close to the powerhead and went in front of it the edge of her skin turned white, like because of the intense flow she couldn't control her chromatophores in that one section of her skin. I just thought that was an interesting observation.

I'm sorry I haven't been on much, I've been pretty busy lately. Everything is going just fine with fletcher. Turns out what we originally thought was signs of the beginning of brooding must have just been a long getting used to for fletcher. I guess he for some reason took longer to get comfortable than most. We've had some fun, he has unscrewed some things, played with some toys, and most of all we have fun everyday playing with the magfloat (and yes I'm very careful not to hurt him) I'm still undecided on the sex, I haven't seen any signs that point to male so I'm going to go with female, but I could be wrong. I always leave the magfloat in the tank and sometimes I'll be on my computer and "smash!' I go to check and fletcher has taken the inside part of the magfloat, I figured he was just curious but after a while I realized that he was using it to shed his sucker discs. I'll upload a video of fletcher sometime this week to let you all see how much he's grown, I'd say he's probably about two and a half times the size he was when I got him. He's been on a diet of fiddlers, shore shrimp (saltwater), and frozen shrimp, I've tried other things like tuna and clams but they are only on occasions :wink:. Fletcher seems to be very healthy other than something that recently was brought to my attention. I am afraid fletcher may be sick, possibly and infection, I haven't an idea as to how he would get a wound because he shares the tank with a few starfish and some harmless coral. There are about 7 or 8 little white spots on fletcher, they seem to be getting bigger pretty fast. There are three above his eye shown in the picture. I am very worried, is there anything I can treat him with? Sorry about the pictures, they're a little dark.

Attachments

• conv_294861.jpg
    conv_294861.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • conv_294862.jpg
    conv_294862.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 104
Infections are not good and eye infections worse. If he is still eating (and you have not suggested he is not and that is good) try to get some tetracycline into the food. It is one antibiotic that has been used without detectable damage, the good is antectdotal. I have used it when OhToo had an arm infection and the infection cleared, it did not help with the eye but he did not eat much. You can get it for fish without perscription (it is perscription for humans). You may find it at your LFS but PM me and I can send you some if you can't get it quickly.

There is one other antibiotic that can topically be applid (Kanamycin). Both uses are discussed here

So last night I got my hands on some Minocyline which is tetracycline. I didn't have a syringe to inject the shrimp with with so instead I tried to just shove it into a shrimp. As far as I know it worked and fletcher consumed it. The shrimp when I got up today was completely gone, all that was left was the outer shell. I don't know how fast this medicine kicks in, but I see a difference in the size of the white circles around his eyes already. I'll continue to give this to him until they disappear completely, everything looks like it's going to be okay if already it is having an affect. Thank you so much D! You're the best! :biggrin2:

I don't think one application would do anything but keep her on the meds for about 10 days (she may start rejecting the shrimp eventually but keep with it even after the white disappears if it is sooner than 10 days to help prevent reoccurance). Hopefully what you are seeing is her own body fighting the infection and the antibiotic should boost the effect and help elminate the bacteria from her system.

If I was "the best" as something I could find a job!:banghead::biggrin2:

Well Unfortunately the infection must have already been at a level too advance to be treated by medicine. Fletcher passed away last night 10/25/09.
I had close to 3 amazing months with fletcher and fletcher was a great octopus. I will miss him/her very much. Tomorrow I will be taking measurements and checking to see what sex fletcher really was. :goodbye::cry:

Thanks, I will be taking measurements in about a week when I remove him from the Formalin, also what is the easiest way to tell sex now? Should I look for the white line on the arm?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back