• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Flamboyant

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Important note - this is not a recommended species. Their numbers in the wild seem to be going down, and they are not a beginner animal. Luckly, they are also expensive.

Got a call from a wholesaler that got a flam in from Japan, and I got it because I had a 'muck' tank ready to go. Nice shipping - I got the call yesterday afternoon, and picked it up at the airport last night. Shipped in at least 3 gallons of water. :smile:

It ate within 5 minutes of being in the tank (and again this morning), and doesn't seem scared of anything, so no spectacular displays yet.

Don't yet know which species, or the sex. Hopefully, more pics soon.

Hopefully its a gravid female!!! :smile:

what is the mantle and total length approx?

:smile:

Thats my feeling as well Roy. I haven't had time to compare the one I had a few years ago with this one yet.

Its happily munching away on live mysis, which also makes me think we are too focused on larger prey items for the smaller cuttles. Feels like a long shot, but do you know of any research into metasepia or bandensis diets in the wild?

I'm sure you're aware of this, so I'm just reiterating for newcomers reading this thread:

In a TV special, Mark Norman reported apparently-unpublished research that shows that metasepia has a potent toxin of some sort. The implication, although it was never stated directly, was that the hazard was in eating its flesh, but it was ambiguous as to whether there might be a risk from a bite or excretions on the skin, in the ink, or into the tank water. Certainly, anyone near these animals should exercise extreme caution and avoid handling them directly.

Thanks for the toxin reminder - I will have to put that in the disclaimer I am working on. :biggrin2:

I am so happy to be able to share.

Hi Rich, out of interest was it just one that was imported? Why was it imported? Any idea if perhaps others had died in transit?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back