flamboyant cuttles

I snapped this picture when I was done with the evenings' work at the NRCC. Thought you guys would appreciate seeing it.

It's not in the greatest of focus, as I didn't want to disturb them by using the flash.

Very nice!

Can you share any details on the programme involving them?

Has anybody done any major work involving the Metasepia sp.? I find these animals fascinating but I can't seem to find much literature about them.

saul

There are just a few of them. One is being observed in a glass aquarium on a bed of sand. I am likely not the best person to ask about the program for them, as I just started working there. But i was just thrilled to find out they had metasepia and thought I would share a picture.

It's very fascinating to watch them! Normally they're very drab colored, until you approach their tank, at which time they adopt their bright red and yellow coloration and raise tentacles in challenge.

This is kinda off-topic, but I live in Houston, and I am a big ceph fan. Is there a way for me and a few of my fishy interested friends to arrange a tour of the facility? Who should I contact, so as not to bug you furhther?

Thanks!
Shannen

hey Shannen, did you ever look into getting a tour of the place out of curiosity? They do tours quite often. There was a group of high school students on a tour yesterday.

Colin said:
Very nice!

Can you share any details on the programme involving them?

I previously had no details to share... as I have found out, however, this is because a program had not yet begun.

October 31st we are starting a substrate experiment for the Metasepia. They are offered a choice of oyster shell, crushed coral, Galveston sand, or pebbles. We will record at several different times a day how many animals are in each substrate, and if they are sitting on the substrate, swimming, or walking. We will also try to record which animal is in the substrate by size i.e. largest-smallest as well as making other observations such as breeding behavior.

Great experiment! I'm guessing the metasepia will prefer the sand but I would like to see the results. Over how long a time is the experiment going to be carried out? Do keep us posted :heee:

joel_ang said:
Great experiment! I'm guessing the metasepia will prefer the sand but I would like to see the results. Over how long a time is the experiment going to be carried out? Do keep us posted :heee:

i'm not entirely sure, but i'll keep you all posted!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back