• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Fishless Cycling

I did it...

I used raw cocktail shrimp in my tank to get my tank cycled. Also in the tank were about 10lbs. of live rock and about a 1.5" sand bed.

The tank cycled (ammonia and nitrite levels went to 0.0), and I later added another 40lbs of live rock and two damsels.

There was a minor spike in ammonia upon the introduction of the second batch of live rock (from die-off of the hour drive from the LFS to my apartment), but other than that the tank cycled well without fish.

A fish-less cycle is definitely do-able. I have heard that adding ammonia straight to a tank is not advisable, but I do not know the reasonings behind that.

I have also heard that adding uncured live rock will also cycle your tank (the dead organic material will provide enough ammonia)

[By the way - the second link you posted does not point at anything.]

Fishless cycles are becoming more popular and some see it as being kinder on the animals but personally i cant think when i last lost a test pilot... My two black mollies in my freshwater tank have been marine on many ocassions.

Using uncured rock willl certainly work or get a high chair and pee in the tank, just as good :lol:

Oh Colin...just the mental imagery is funny as hell! someone come up with an emoticon for that one!
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back