first wild ceph encounter

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So i have a friend that lives in Crockett right next to the Martinez bridge in northern california. he heard from another guy that you can find octos right next to the waterline under the famous resturaunt "the dead fish". so my friend and i decided to check it out. we went down with a snorkeling mask and a rubber flash light. we searched for about 2 hours, then finally found one under a rock! it didnt want to be handled, so we let it go its own way. still. it was fun. just thought i'd share.

-Keith

a school? that'd be awesome. i have no idea where you could find squid in northern california. the only local squid i know of is humboldt squid. and theyre usually down south, or in northern mexico. how big are bigfin reef squid? just tryin to get my own little mental picture here.

Thanks for sharing. One's first wild ceph encounter can be life-changing. Mine was. While SCUBA diving in the San Juans I encountered a large GPO in its den. I peeled off my neoprene glove and offered it to the creature peering out at me with an eye as large as my own. It pulled in my hand and gently investigated it for the next 10 minutes. Now I have spent years of my life and much $$$ pursuing the creatures.

Keith;121139 said:
thats awesome Taollan. that sounds hella cool.

-Keith

I beg to differ, that sounds hellishly cold, swimming with the need to keep everything covered just to tollerate the water temperature is not for me, even to touch a GPO

well. i have no idea where San Juans is, and i dont know how deep GPOs like to live. i like diving though, i havent been in any really cold areas, but its fun.

GPO's are a cold water species and live in the Pacific northwest and up to Alaska (around Vancouver, Canada as well). Note the reference to removing gloves - those are required for warmth, not optional protection from stinging cells. The dive master of my ill-fated dive in St. Maarten (no gloves required :rainbow:) came from the Vancouver area and mentioned that the GPO's seem to be attracted to the warmth of a hand so removing a glove to encourage a touch is a known method of contact.

After less than 1/2 a tank a cattle boat dumped about 40 people into the area. Visibiltiy went to near zero in about 5 minutes. After loosing my group and surfacing it looked like an over crowded swiming pool - the rest of the dive was called. Taking a more experienced level adventure would have avoided this but I rarely get the opportunity so I chose the "baby" dive - won't do that again.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back