first wild ceph encounter

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So i have a friend that lives in Crockett right next to the Martinez bridge in northern california. he heard from another guy that you can find octos right next to the waterline under the famous resturaunt "the dead fish". so my friend and i decided to check it out. we went down with a snorkeling mask and a rubber flash light. we searched for about 2 hours, then finally found one under a rock! it didnt want to be handled, so we let it go its own way. still. it was fun. just thought i'd share.

-Keith

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
a school? that'd be awesome. i have no idea where you could find squid in northern california. the only local squid i know of is humboldt squid. and theyre usually down south, or in northern mexico. how big are bigfin reef squid? just tryin to get my own little mental picture here.

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Thanks for sharing. One's first wild ceph encounter can be life-changing. Mine was. While SCUBA diving in the San Juans I encountered a large GPO in its den. I peeled off my neoprene glove and offered it to the creature peering out at me with an eye as large as my own. It pulled in my hand and gently investigated it for the next 10 minutes. Now I have spent years of my life and much $$$ pursuing the creatures.