• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

first timer

spungebob

Hatchling
Registered
Hello everone im a newbie, I was reading quite a bit about how to set up and equipment i am suprised that even when i am set up that i will have to leave the tank with nothing in it for 3-4 months. I suppose it will probably take that time to find an octupus for sale! :shock:

The company i will be buying equipment off here in ireland is http://www.fishantics.com and im just wondering if you guys could supply me with a shopping list of what exactly i will need or even if am better off ordering from you guys im not sure. :oops:

I am also wondering is my tank too small it looks huge to me here are dimensions.. i think its 40 gallon breeder judging by my research..
:arrow: L=40" X w=18"X h=16"
Maybe im better off just getting fish :cry: but this is a little dream i have :rainbow:

:welcome: to TONMO, :spongebo: !

1. You'll need a filter, wet/dry. canister, power, and there are a lot more. I think a lot of us use wet/dry since it adds extra oxygen to the tank which is crucial for an octo to survive.

2. Protein Skimmer, another important part to octo tanks. One of these will get all the gunk your filter misses.

3.You may need a heater depending on what the average tank temperature is and the species you get.

4. Substrate, you can use very fine sand, about an inch for our o. bimaculoides but you probably can't get one in Ireland.

5. Live Rock, about 2 pounds for every gallon of water.

6. An RO filter can remove a lot of impurities but are costly, a lot of us use RO water since it is a lot cleaner than tap water.

7. You'll need test kits so you can know when your tank is octo safe.

8. Lighting, octopus don't need special lighting and many would rather have none to a very small amount.

9. Aquariums, depends on your species, a bimac would be a little crampred in a 40 gallon.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Nick has given you a good start. We have some articles on our Ceph Care page (click on Ceph Care above) that might help you work through the details. Look at Colin's Equipment List, also the Checklist to start with.

I found that one pound of live rock per gallon is quite enough - otherwise you'll cover your entire "beach" area.

Colin can probably give you some more advice since he lives in the UK (Scotland) and knows better what's available.

Nancy

:notworth: Great Guys Thanx very much for the help that shopping list is really helpfull it looks like this is going to be a long road :smile: I might get some fish first and just get used to keeping an aquarium as i have never done anything like this before. :bonk: Maybe Colin will give me an idea if he is in uk i could visit over there in the summer, come to think of it there is a visiting aquarium near i think i will see if they know where to get the leggy suckers :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back