• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First time raising S. bandensis

Cute little guy! I miss them... I would get the largest tank you can up and running. Maybe even a 55 gallon? Then you could keep more than one.

I'm guessing that one of the issues with a smaller tank is the amount of waste that cephalopods in general produce. The larger the tank, the more stable the water parameters are. Also, if something does go wrong (heater malfunctions, specific gravity is off, you put off a water change...) there is more of a buffer to keep everything stable.

That's definitely a good point and one that I will admit has me nervous... The filtration isn't scaring me so much while they're small, I have approximately 22 pounds of live rock in a 20 gallon tank as well a protein skimmer designed for a 30 gallon tank. The issue of heater malfunctions (or worse, power outages) is one I should get a larger tank for... One a bright note, the little guy has friends! 3 more hatched and another two are trying! The 7th egg never developed, I just checked it under a light and it was milky with only a bit of a cuttlefish in it; the egg also was shriveling. Even still, 6 out of 7, I'd say it seems like a good turn out for a $30 purchase :heee: ! I already have a good friend (the same one who sold them to me so cheap) who is willing to take them back when they get bigger for his own tank if I don't have the biggest possible tank to support 6 happily; he's a good guy and I trust him wholeheartedly :smile:
Here's the four hanging out, though the one at the top is a little loner :tongue:

Attachments

• conv_300644.jpg
    conv_300644.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 113

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back