• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First time bimac keeper

Awesome! Did you do a slow drip on them to get them acclimated to the colder water? I’ll probably end up waiting until we upgrade the tank to add corals. I’ve got some macros in there now to give it more of an organic feel but I think it would be cool to have a few more pops of color.

What do you keep your temp at?
So sorry for the delayed reply. My phone is always going off with 100s of notifications. I took some hardy corals like xenia, finger leathers, kenya tree etc and put them in the octo tank. I slowly lowered the temperature from 77ish to 70. When I got the octo I put him into the 70 degree water and then turned on the chiller and brought it down to 65. Now my water stays around 66 and it does go up to 68 in the summer. I think most softies can handle the temperature drop. It really is the octo messing with them that kills them.

Awesome! Did you do a slow drip on them to get them acclimated to the colder water? I’ll probably end up waiting until we upgrade the tank to add corals. I’ve got some macros in there now to give it more of an organic feel but I think it would be cool to have a few more pops of color.

What do you keep your temp at?
There are also some beautiful macros. I keep some pompom, dragons breath, sea lettuce and halimeda. There’s also some blue shades of macros.

You’ve done exactly what I want to do. I’m in the process of building an acrylic tank right now (36x18x18, about 50g) and my plan is to make it an octo/reef tank. So, finding this thread was great! Can you give us an update? Also, I’ve heard that octopus like to constantly rearrange everything (just like my wife😁). How does this effect the coral? How else dose he mess with the coral?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back