• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First time bimac keeper

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Yes! Will post some picks later on today. I bought a polycarbonate sheet which is about 3/4” thick so it’s pretty heavy. Then bought the 3M heavy duty stick on velcro and haven’t had any issues. Each strip can support up to 30 pounds. I have two on each corner and 4 in the back.
We use the 3M Velcro on our tank as well. The added weight of the heavy wooden hood helps too but rimmed aquariums are hard to come by now. I got a quote through Custom Aquarium Builders and it was double the price and a few gallons smaller

We use the 3M Velcro on our tank as well. The added weight of the heavy wooden hood helps too but rimmed aquariums are hard to come by now. I got a quote through Custom Aquarium Builders and it was double the price and a few gallons smaller
Yeah they’re sparse nowadays. I have a rimless cube but I don’t trust the bigger volume rimless tanks. My reef tank is a 180 gallon rimmed tank. Depending on the species the velcro should be enough with the weight of the poly carbonate. I also 3-D printed some clips so the lid can sit inside the tank but I ended up scrapping that idea and got the lid to fit perfectly on top of the tank.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Yeah they’re sparse nowadays. I have a rimless cube but I don’t trust the bigger volume rimless tanks. My reef tank is a 180 gallon rimmed tank. Depending on the species the velcro should be enough with the weight of the poly carbonate. I also 3-D printed some clips so the lid can sit inside the tank but I ended up scrapping that idea and got the lid to fit perfectly on top of the tank.
I’ve got a Bimac now and went the custom lid route too. I’ve seen some of your Tik toks. What corals are you keeping in there? I want to add some later down the road when we upgrade. I’m scared if I did it now they would get moved around before they had time to grow

I’ve got a Bimac now and went the custom lid route too. I’ve seen some of your Tik toks. What corals are you keeping in there? I want to add some later down the road when we upgrade. I’m scared if I did it now they would get moved around before they had time to grow
I’ve tried everything from euphyllia to scolys. The only things that do really well and thrive are softies, leathers (but be careful bc they can shed toxins), mushrooms, I have these weird cold water nems? And bubble tip anemones. Everything else can’t withstand the harassment and the cooler water and I have a lot of macro algaes like halimeda, pompom, dragons breath etc.

I would add them in a protected area and let them grab hold. I started by gluing to a shell or small rock, then gluing that and sticking it in a crevice. They grow really fast, especially with the bimac. They’ll also help export some of the nutrients.

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Awesome! Did you do a slow drip on them to get them acclimated to the colder water? I’ll probably end up waiting until we upgrade the tank to add corals. I’ve got some macros in there now to give it more of an organic feel but I think it would be cool to have a few more pops of color.

What do you keep your temp at?

Awesome! Did you do a slow drip on them to get them acclimated to the colder water? I’ll probably end up waiting until we upgrade the tank to add corals. I’ve got some macros in there now to give it more of an organic feel but I think it would be cool to have a few more pops of color.

So sorry for the delayed reply. My phone is always going off with 100s of notifications. I took some hardy corals like xenia, finger leathers, kenya tree etc and put them in the octo tank. I slowly lowered the temperature from 77ish to 70. When I got the octo I put him into the 70 degree water and then turned on the chiller and brought it down to 65. Now my water stays around 66 and it does go up to 68 in the summer. I think most softies can handle the temperature drop. It really is the octo messing with them that kills them.

There are also some beautiful macros. I keep some pompom, dragons breath, sea lettuce and halimeda. There’s also some blue shades of macros.

Guns286

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
You’ve done exactly what I want to do. I’m in the process of building an acrylic tank right now (36x18x18, about 50g) and my plan is to make it an octo/reef tank. So, finding this thread was great! Can you give us an update? Also, I’ve heard that octopus like to constantly rearrange everything (just like my wife😁). How does this effect the coral? How else dose he mess with the coral?