• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

first octopus or cuttlefish

otto13

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I am looking for an octopus that is smaller than the bimac. Is there one readily available on the market? Where is the best place to get one? I might go for a cuttlefish instead. Is there one that would fit the bill? I only have a 55 gallon tank. I have already octopus proofed it and it has been established for six months.

From the lack of response I can only assume that the bimac is the best way to go for a beginner octopus owner. I will be puttin him in my 55 gallon macro algae tank. Any problem with that? Any recommendations on where to buy one?

octopets.com is the best place to goto to purchase an octo. A bimac should be perfect for a 55. If you want something smaller, you will need to get lucky with some good research online at different dealers or hobbyists.

Right now, cuttle fish are more difficult to get. Octopets have a laerger species, but the requirements are BIG tanks! You will need a smaller species like sepia bandensis. This isnt yet available through retailers, but they will be soon! Righty on this forum often have some for sale. Hopefully my small army of them will soon breed and produce eggs as well.

I and others would probably recommend the bimac for your first....

Good luck

I just ordered my bimac today from www.fishsupply.com which was recommended on an earlier post. Can you have more than one bimac per tank? I am very excited. I have been doing coral tanks and boxfish for the last 5 years but now that I have a tank right next to my work desk, I thought this would be really neat.

I certainly would not keep more than one octopus per tank, as one of the sadder facts about cephalopods is a tendency toward cannibalism.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back