• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Octopus coming soon

Finally, after being jealous for a few years here im getting one of my own, lol. However, this one is just going to be a temporary keeping because high school starts soon and I don't take any risks or chances with dealing with responsibility. I also have work so it's going to be for a month only. My tank is fully set up and has been up and running for 2 1/2 months. I didn't have to worry about buying RO/DI and salt because as some of you seen me mention about the Co-Op seafood market in point pleasant beach here in NJ...their supplying me free seawater since obtaining a caught octopus wasn't possible at this time of season.

Their water is 100% safe. They have a filter connected to the ocean which runs in and I luckily got 50 gallons of it. Not all of that is going in the tank though...my tank is 20 gallons which is actually perfect because im only keeping a young Vulgaris for a month. Afterwords, im giving it to jenkinson's were they'll either keep it or decided something else. Either way, it's safe and within perfect circumstances.

My tank has a 30 gallon filter, skimmer, thermometer, and hydrometer equipt with parameters:

Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 240 ppm (normal)
pH: 8.2
Temperature: 72 F.
Salinity: 1.028

^ - These results have been coming up after doing weekly parameter checking. I hope this all comes to an easy experience, lol. Let me know what else I should be aware of because im sure I have most of it covered...including keeping the tank shut.

Armstrong,

I am so glad you worked out a way to interact with an octopus for a little while. Persistence and patience have paid off for you. I also appreciate how carefully you have thought out your plan. Of course, it may not go according to plan :biggrin2: because it is an octopus, but you will have fun anyway! Good luck and congratulations!

cuttlegirl said:
Armstrong,

I am so glad you worked out a way to interact with an octopus for a little while. Persistence and patience have paid off for you. I also appreciate how carefully you have thought out your plan. Of course, it may not go according to plan :biggrin2: because it is an octopus, but you will have fun anyway! Good luck and congratulations!

Lol, thanx. A few months ago, I just had a moment of weakness cuz I noticed many people on here had one and I didn't just cuz I live in an area were its not easy to get octopus...despite living right by the shore, lol. I also had studied them since I was 6 and studied captivity keeping for a few years so im definately ready and set. Im also glad I got to see the large 6 foot giant octopus at my aquarium in Camden, NJ for a brief period of time behind the scenes.

Btw, my octopus doesn't have to be added to the list of owners because this is just temporary.

i know how u feel about the responsibility .... im 18 and a senior in high school and i have little time between hockey, my job, school and my girlfreind..... but my octo gets the attention he needs everyday no matter what even if i have to give sumthin up.... it can be a pain but its well worth it

congradulations!! Even a few months will be well worth it!

On ceph forums, many people ask.."Why do you keep a pet that is so short lived??"

I always think that if they actually had one, they wouldnt ask that question.

Paradox said:
congradulations!! Even a few months will be well worth it!

On ceph forums, many people ask.."Why do you keep a pet that is so short lived??"

I always think that if they actually had one, they wouldnt ask that question.

Lol, true. I don't know how it is were the rest of you guys are...but around here, people don't care for octopus or give an effort to learn about how amazing they are. The biggest question I get asked is why im so obsessed with such a dumb animal...well in their persective. And that question cant be answered in 1 sentance so its a pain. Hardly anyone knows octopuses can change their skin color at all except us and the bioligists. But their lives are short, and more precious than a lot of other animals out there. I really think they deserve more publicity among people and take a break with fishing 10 thousand tons a year. Like I said, their one of the few animals that lack instruments to detect wether their getting endangered or not.

I just saw raw octopus at a sushi bar today, lol.

i hate seein people eat octos .... i dont know why .... they just seem like such an intelligent creature that shouldnt be eated..... but i guess that argument can be made about any animal

Well I ordered today from Toms Carribean. He now has 7 octopuses in stock which will be updated by next week. He had 11 last week. Once I get it, i'll keep you guys posted if he stays alive which im hoping, cuz it ships from Florida.

Until then, I have to do a 20% water change cuz 1 mussel I left in the tank destroyed the nitrite levels. Should be back to perfect in a few days. Everything else is wonderful.

aximbigfan said:
what will happen to the octo after those few months?

chris

Im going to give it to Jenkinson's aquarium located on the boardwalk by the shore. They'll either keep it or decide something else. As long as its alive and in good hands.

Tom sent me the ordering form and the species listed that im getting is octopus Joubini. Can anyone give me a brief description about this species...behavior, and how large does it grow to the max?

Im a little dissapointed cuz Tom told me he had only Briareus which I hoped for.

^EDIT: I emailed Tom and he confirmed im getting Briareus instead which im extremely relieved for. My tank isn't suited for Joubini which only grows to 9 cm. (3.5 inch.) adult size.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back