• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First food advice

MikeST

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I got my octopus yesterday and all seems well so far. As long as he does OK today... I think I will feel better.

Anyway....
My fiddler crabs probably wont arrive till wednesday. Should I attemp to feed sooner , and what. I would think if I drop some raw shrimp or something in...it will just go bad. Hes still spooked at the new tank and all....so I dont expect him to be aggressive with food yet.

None of the local shops have live fiddlers.

At the markets...I can get live oysters and live mussles.....

I could use any advice.

mike

( O. Briarius...mantle about 1.5")

You know...Something I might try.
I trained all my seahorses to eat frozen. They all eat out of feeding dishes.
Actually when I put the turkey baster in the water ( I use this to fill the dishes) they come flying from all corners of the tanks.

The reson for this is...its really easy for them to find the food...and also its super easy to suck-out the un-eaten stuff.
I usually actually soak the food in more concentrated salt water first...so it tends to sink easier and stay in the bowls or plates.
I might put a small raw shrimp in a disk tonight when I go to twilight light .

Also...some of my seahors friends....use those magnet cleaner things. Epoxy the food bowl to the inside magnet. Then its really easy to raise up the food bowl and clean it out.

Question.
If I get a live mussle or two, or oyster....do I split the shell to feed ?
Never done it before.
I have a markey close by my house that has oysters, clams and mussles.
Shoudl I split the shells open all the way? Does that kill the animal inside/\\\

Mike

Try pitting a small piece of raw shrimp on a skewer. just reach in a get it nice a close to the octo. if need be tickle him with it a little and I bet he takes it this is what I did for my Briareus when she was young. You can also try raw silverside or some other type of fish. I have never tried the clams and mussel so I cat advise on them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back