Finding Nemo

re: Finding Nemo

Alas, it doesn't hit the shores of Australia until August.

I am a hugh fan of PIXAR and have been following their animation almost since they started. I remember watching a Luxor lamp amination many years ago on Sesame Street and thinking "that was brilliant!". Such a pity they had to combine with Disney - I just hope Disney keeps their claws out of the production ideas. The Disney ethics have destroyed many a good film.

The animation style of Nemo has a touch of the Aardman about it - the big eyes on the characters I think.

KRin (who never did finished cataloguing those medical thesis yesterday)

Anyone know what this film is about?

The official website was very pretty but didn't explain very much.

The synopsis I've heard is along the following lines (the technical version :wink: ): baby-fish (Nemo) is captured and taken to an ?aquarium where bad aquarists and scientists want to do mean things to him (along the lines of Beethoven), while daddy-fish tries frantically to get him home safe.
I am also looking forward to it but suspect it will not be unmitigated good publicity for the likes of us... :|

:goldfish:

Tintenfisch said:
I am also looking forward to it but suspect it will not be unmitigated good publicity for the likes of us... :|

Probably won't do sharks any favors, either. Active predators are seldom the protagonists.

Unless they're human.

:roll:

Clem

Actually, from what I can glean from the trailers, I THINK the sharks (or at least some of them) are good guys in this one. One tiny clip in the trailers seems to imply the sharks have formed a support group for recovering fish-eaters... 8) As for any statement regarding the aquarium trade...I dunno... Hard to say. I'd think Pixar couldn't have made this movie without working closely with aquarists, but...maybe they haven't. Perhaps they spent a lot of time scuba diving. Or, perhaps it's meant to be encouraging captive breeding. I suppose it'll be pretty clear once we get to see it.

Of course, there is also the complete lack of reality in the notion of talking fish...so perhaps it's really not meant to say much of ANYTHING except "wow...isn't this a cool setting for a movie?"

rusty

rrtanton said:
Actually, from what I can glean from the trailers, I THINK the sharks (or at least some of them) are good guys in this one. One tiny clip in the trailers seems to imply the sharks have formed a support group for recovering fish-eaters...

Right: they can be protagonists, but only if they give up their predatory ways.

Of course, there is also the complete lack of reality in the notion of talking fish...

What do you mean?

PANSIES
(People Against Neutering Sharks in Entertaining Simulacra)

RE: Finding Nemo

I checked the PIXAR site to see if it had more information than the pathetic Disney site. Also no. Both are as information poor as each other.
I had expetced more from PIXAR...

KRin

Hello KRin,

PIXAR and Disney are re-evaluating their relationship. It's always been a rather tense marriage; Disney likes to suck properties dry, producing ever more mediocre sequels to hits, and periodically removing films from circulation to artificially build up demand. PIXAR has needed Disney for it's distribution prowess, and has enjoyed a level of autonomy under the Disney umbrella they might not have enjoyed with another studio.

However, Disney's animation division has been in a steady decline; recently, only "Lilo & Stitch" has managed to break out. Aside from that film, only the PIXAR movies have been worthy of the Disney canon AND generated huge revenues, but the cultural differences between PIXAR and the House of Mouse are probably too great for the association to be sustained. I'm sure PIXAR would love to put up a terrific "Nemo" page, but probably couldn't do so without having the Disney marketing hacks breathing down their necks.

Good Lord, living in Los Angeles has finally proven useful. Only took three years.

Yours truly,

Clem

I had read somewhere that PIXAR and Disney are working on a Toy Story 3 for release in 2006... Andy donates the toys to his kindergarten or some such...

"Toy Story 3" may be the price of release from indentured servitude.

Here's a Business Week article from autumn 2001 about the PIXAR/Disney marriage:

Toy Story 3: Out for Blood

Perhaps a "Finding Nemo 2" will involve a neurotic squid's attempt to rescue his paralarval offspring from NZ...

Clem

Great article Clem! I favor Pixar's position. And all during this mess, my kids are missing out on another Buzz, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye tale. :x :evil: :yelling:

Wow, Clem! Do you know any more about the current status of the Disney/Pixar relationship? The article's dated late 2001... I was just sharing these concerns with an animation-loving friend of mine...I just see Disney sucking the life out of Pixar and generally messing them up badly. The details discussed in this article kind of support my fears. I'd much rather see Pixar independent or in a relationship with a (hopefully) better company.

I must confess...a "Toy Story 3" makes me awfully nervous. They managed to get away with a brilliant sequel, but...the novelty's completely gone now, sequels always make me nervous, and can they really manage yet another fascinating, fresh story? I guess they could. Nobody's perfect, so I know Pixar will fall on its face once or twice someday...I just hope that they don't suffer any real damage from it, like, oh, Disney deciding they should run the whole company. :shock: I'm not meaning to specifically bash Disney...but I sure don't like the way they have been running things lately.

rusty

Aloha Rusty,

Once PIXAR delivered "Finding Nemo" to Disney, it was free to start negotiating for a new deal, either with Disney or another studio. Warner Bros. is known to have conducted "informal" talks with Steve Jobs and PIXAR, while Eisner is said to remain confident that PIXAR will stick with them, perhaps in a new arrangement simillar to Lucasfilm's "Star Wars" deal with 20th Century Fox. Jobs and Eisner are said to be just barely on speaking terms, however, and Jobs wants PIXAR to own its creations. (This latest info is from Reuters and the NYTimes.)

I wonder if the plot of "Finding Nemo" is (in part) a veiled allusion to the Jobs vs Eisner struggle: neurotic parent attempts to rescue quirky child from greedy, thieving merchant.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back