• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

FINALLY got my cuttlefish, but now I'm having issues! Help please!

I noticed that your breeder is bare though. Mine has a shallow layer of sand, some rubble, and some macro which makes it easy for the mysis/pods to hide when I first put the in. As for timing (the tank the breeders are in recieves overflow light from my display), actinics go on at 10 and I usually notice a little more activity starting around 10:45 or later, and then lights all out at 11. I usually don't stay up that late so don't plan on being able to watch later into the night. As for the morning, I can barely get myself out of bed in order to make it out of the house on time as it is, let alone adding feeding/etc to that! I feed 1-2 amphipods per cuttlefish per night (which is what you suggest). Does anyone think I should feed more?

Well how many cuttles do you have, how old are they, and are they all growing at the same rate?

If your cuttles aren't eating the second the amphipods hit the water the amount you're feeding should be fine, but maybe you should split it up into two separate feedings of 1 per cuttle.

And by the way, ever since I got my cuttles I've stopped pressing the snooze button :mrgreen:

L8 2 RISE;151952 said:
I feed 1-2 amphipods per cuttlefish per night (which is what you suggest). Does anyone think I should feed more?

I'm a paranoid cuttle raiser...that being said, I always made sure they were outnumbered 4 to 1. Not enough to drive the cuttles crazy, but enough to make sure they could always find the pods and make a kill. I had a lot of rubble and macro in the nets, so the pods weren't always visible. Hence, the overkill. I would drop in 12 or more pods every night.

6 cuttles in one breeder all two weeks old, 2 in another hatched yesterday. When I put the amphipods in the lights are still on so the cuttlefish aren't swimming around but are hiding, and when the lights are off, the amphipods duck for cover in the macro or rubble as soon as they hit the water.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back