• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

finally decided on cyanea.

simple;103575 said:
10 foot tank for an octopus with a maximum arm span of 2 to 3 feet (according to: http://www.waquarium.org/MLP/root/html/MarineLife/Invertebrates/Molluscs/Octopus.html ?!? Bimacs get to almost two feet in arm span so if a cyanea needs something that big wont a bimac need something much larger than the recommended 55 gallons?

You're missing the point. Bimacs aren't really all that active in their natural environment. They hide under rocks. The come out to find food, unless it comes to them. They might wander about but they don't venture off far from their den.

Cyanea on the other hand roams around all over the place. Very active. That's where the comparison to the much larger Giant Pacific Octopus comes in. They aren't nearly as active so they are much better suited to being kept in captivity.

Think of it like this... Great Danes and Greyhounds. While a Great Dane is a very large dog, it's very lazy, so a small space is fine for it. A Greyhound on the other hand is a bit smaller dog but needs lots of room to run.

If you want a large diurnal octopus, look for a Vulgaris. But for now, a 110 gallon would be great for a Briareus.

ok,i understand, sorry i was just confused,no one had explained it like that, but now i see what you mean. I would very happily take a vulgaris if i can find one, unfortunately i haven't been able to, i could get a briareus and i already know someone that can get me one, but i rather wait a bit and see if a vulgaris comes along..any help finding one would be appreciated.
Thanks

simple;103588 said:
ok i placed an order online for octopus vulgaris at tampa bay, so im crossing my fingers and hope all goes well.

Have you checked the parameters on your tank? It could still go through a mini-cycle since you just set it up in your place a few days ago. Do you have a variety of food available for your octopus? Make sure you have your food before your octopus is delivered.

yes ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 salinity was at 2.028 but i put some fresh r/o water to bring it down, nitrites were a little high at 40 ppm but in one of the articles it said they're fine up to 80-100 ppm. I live 2 miles from the beach so as soon as i find out when i'm getting him/her i can just go bike over there with a bucket and collect some. It might not even come soon since the owner still has to make sure they have, and i did ask for a relatively small one so i'd know its young, meaning it might be even more time before they ship.

There are certain times of the year that they have them - ask them when they might have vulgaris. The last time I talked with them, they thought it would be fairly soon.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back