• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Finally, an octopus in Holland

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Are you leaving them in overnight?

Sorry this seems to be problem :frown:

nightlife31

Cuttlefish
Registered
mussels and oysters life in the tank. The molly for 1 night, haven't seen it afterwards, but don't think to octo got it. I had a molly in there before but they seem to have problems with the night (to many critters around).
The peeled shrimp was in there for one night, afterwhich I removed it.
The crabs have been in the tank since yesterday.

Why is it a problem?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I mean the problem with it not eating...

it could be that there is plenty amphipods in your tank which it is feeding on? I had an O. bocki that seemed to refuse all for ages, but was eating amphipods etc

nightlife31

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi Colin,

I do see skins of these amphipods flooting around once in a while, so they are in the tank, but I don't know how many, since I haven't seen any alife. Do you think I should worry about it not eating, although I have food available?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
well, its not perfect.

id like to see an octopus eat every second day but its hard to tell what yours may or may not be eating.

I have in the past tied a live crab to fishing line (not easy :smile: ) and left it near the front all night and see if it gets eaten or try a piece of shrimp on a line and dangle it near the octopus as if its alive

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
aculeatus food

Any luck yet? Aculeatus in the wild tend to break crabs/shrimps/stomatopods apart a bit when they feed, so chances are the amphipod exoskeletons in the tank are molts rather than table-scraps. It's possible it did eat the fish if you haven't seen it around the tank lately. Sometimes when they eat minnows or gobies they don't leave anything behind. Worth another try. The best luck I've had is with live crabs (de-clawed if the octo is old or seems tired/losing coordination). Was the shrimp you gave it still cold? If it still has a desire to feed, by now it should be pretty hungry, so it might be worth trying again with a small (about 1 cm cube) piece of thawed shrimp (shell on) if you don't have crabs or more fish. Pierce it on a small piece of wire on a small stick (so the octo can pull it off) and gently touch the suckers with the shrimp so the octo can taste it. If it pushes it away after all this time not feeding, chances are it's really not hungry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak