• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filters Vs Tank

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello

I was just wondering if there is a way to determine how big a Filter, Protein Skimmer and Sump needs to be for a 200gallon tank. Is there any general rule I can use to determine how big, so I don't go ridiculosly over (like pool filter size).

I am not to sure what sort of Air Intake would be needed for a 200 Gallon tanks Skimmer (not to mention Octopus, I know they require a very high Oxygen level) so the Litres/Hour can help me there and Perhaps, a Litre/Hour in water turn over for Filters to help determine How big I CAN go, without it being far too big for the tank.

Thank You

I'm somewhat new to this hobby as well but what I've learned so far is that the size of the filter does not matter. There are filters that can do the same job as one that is several times larger (but they cost a bit more), but they tell you on the box what size tank they are for. Same with protein skimmers. For a 200 gallon tank you need a sump tank anywhere from 30-40 gallon. I suggest two 20gal if they could fit. If you have a 200 you could have two overflows or a fork in the PVC so it can go to both ways. In my 75 gal I have a large protein skimmer in the sump that filters about 80 percent and a small that goes into the actual tank that gets the rest but my system could work on a system 30 gal bigger just fine. I also have one of those Large Acrylic tubes with biobals. Something large died in a hole in one of the rocks in the back and we couldn't find it so our nitrate levels spiked and now we have Red Agae. Luckily, my little ceph wasn't even born yet.

In his tank I check nitrates every week and do 15%water changes anytime I see nitrate levels over 20. He is a happy little fellow.

the thing isnt the literal size of the filter, but the size tank it is rated for. for a 200 gal, go for at least 300-gal rated. my filtration is on a 125 gal, and rated for a 300.

Thank you for the Replys

However I have gathered that info since posting so thanks, upon second glances I had come across a rather interesting setup its a 100G tank 48Lx24Wx24H (or around 20H with water in). Now keeping the same idea at hand I also came across "Natures Reef" setup a Wet/Dry Filter Sump setup with a Refugium, question is.... the Sump and refugium together hold around 110-130L or 26-30G of water is that to small a Sump setup for a 100G tank (there is around 20-30L in the Pump area and the rest of the major water volume is in the refugium) ? The setup comes with a Protein Skimmer however I am taking that out and replacing it with one that I am more confident with, I will also try and get Photographs of the setup so you can see what I see and then comment on them (Quite rare to come across EXACT designs in sumps). The reason why the tank has not even been purchased yet is because I need a "Foot Print" of my sumps design (Fully setup) so I can define how much room there is going to be needed/left in the Fish tanks Cabinet.

Finally got Pics!

Ok I finally got pics of the Filtration setup, tell me what you guys think? (Note the Protein skimmer shown is NOT the actually skimmer I will be using).

picture.php

^ Above - full view of the setup sump on the left with the pump and skimmer in it and Bio-Ball setup to the right is the Refugium.

picture.php

^ Above - Top view of the Sump to the left of the picture you can see the internal pump and Skimmer to the right is the Filtration 'Matt/Wool' thats above the bio-balls, the 3 PvC tubings are leading from the Refugium.

picture.php

^ Above - Another (front view) of the the sump with its goodies within.

picture.php

^ Above - This is the Refugium its got the 3 PvC tubings in the top left that lead to the Sump, on the botttom of the Refugium there is Crushed Coral (and I THINK a form of 'Meshing") and ontop of the Crushed coral is Finer Coral/Sand. To the Right is a sort of "Cache" for the turbulent water entering the Refugium, this is to keep water turbulence in the Refugium to a Minimum.

Dimensions:

Refugium
Length: 500mm
Width: 390mm
Depth: 620mm (inc the substrate)

Sump
Length: 500mm
Width: 390mm
Depth: 520mm
"Operation" Depth: 200mm - "water filled to this point"

The Sump holds around 40 Litres, when its filled to the operation depth that the filtration works in (200mm), the Refugium holds around 95 Litres (thats with the Substrate in and a small negated for the space of air at the top).

The question is, would this filtration system be good enough for a 100G Tank with and Occy ? Also please remmber that the Portein Skimmer in it at the moment is not being used and the new one may be an "out of sump" skimmer.

Cheers

Rite now I am not too concerned about the plants the will be in the refugium, I am more concerned about its volume's being large enough for a 100 Gallon tank ? However thanks for some of the plant details.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back