[Cuttlefish]: FF218's Cuttlefish Reef

They ate frozen krill today!
This is such a relief because I had just ran out of shore shrimp and was only feeding them ghost shrimp for the past week.
Now I have another (cheaper) source of saltwater food!

They are becoming quite friendly now...
They have come to realize that I'm the one who brings the food and they have eaten out of my hands 3 times! I hope to get a video and some pictures of this soon. They are eating the frozen krill really well, which I am surprised at. They have started showing a lot of begging behavior also. I notice that they don't hang out together a lot. I usually see them on opposite sides of the tank or in different depths (one at top, one at bottom). I haven't seen any aggression yet which is good. I think they are about 2.5 months old now... the larger one is a good 2 inches and the smaller one about 1.5"
Is this the right growth rate? I think its almost time that they can go into the display tank (granted I turn down the flow and test the parameters)
We will see!

Growth rate sounds about right for well fed cuttles. When we weree still experimenting with appropriate food and diets, my cuttles would be 6 months old and only 2-2.5"s. Since weve found more appropriate foods, they get fat fast!

Congrats with the krill. For some reason, not all bandensis seem to go for them no matter how hard you try.

Paradox;120607 said:
Growth rate sounds about right for well fed cuttles. When we weree still experimenting with appropriate food and diets, my cuttles would be 6 months old and only 2-2.5"s. Since weve found more appropriate foods, they get fat fast!

Congrats with the krill. For some reason, not all bandensis seem to go for them no matter how hard you try.

I remember reading that from you somewhere which made me a little nervous because thats really the frozen invert that is most accessible to me. The next best thing would be silversides which is fish and I know cuttlefish mainly dine on inverts so I was a bit nervous. They are starting to look at everything I place in the tank as food. I dropped a snail in there to help clean up and they struck at him (only to be very dissatisfied). Hopefully I can get them to eat a variety of frozen foods now that they think everything I drop into the tank is food.

Oh, I was under the impression that marine inverts should be the staple diet and not marine fish.
Anyway,
here are some updated pictures... they moved into the display tank!!!
cuttlezzzz0001.jpg

cuttlezzzz0004.jpg

cuttlezzzz0005.jpg

cuttlezzzz0006.jpg

cuttlezzzz0007.jpg

cuttlezzzz0008.jpg

cuttlezzzz0009.jpg

cuttlezzzz3320001.jpg

proper name for the knobby

I absolutely love those orange, "knobby" star fish for ceph tanks. They are like having a bright piece of coral that cleans the bathrooms (or for the guys, better than a French maid :sly:). Do you happen to know the proper name for them as I frequently recommend them but only know the common name.

You know, I did a search and couldn't find it, I just pray it isn't a coral eater since this tank will hold most of my "designer corals" (the small amount that I have :lol: )

Fishfreak,
uhh, you may want to remove it! They do tend to eat corals. When I make my recommendation, I always warn this ESPECIALLY if you have a giant clam. It does not mess with my gorgonians and left the Kenya pretty much alone (however, pencil urchins will eat Kenya and other softies if they don't have enough to eat). They are great for most of what you keep in an octo tank but NOT what you CAN keep with cuttles.

I will differ completely with that diagnosis (the picture and description look correct) and would suggest that it is hearsay rather than experience. I still have my original 3 and they thrive in the octo tanks. There is NO question that they are meat eaters (there is a picture in Octane's thread where the two in his tank went after the shrimp in a ball that 'Tane ignored) and my warning about giant clams is from experience (I've had the first one for over a year - prior to Octane inhabiting this tank - the other two were acquired because the first did so well).

Greg, the one thing I found after your post with the proper name, does say "low light" and makes me wonder if that makes them doubly suitable for an octo tank as mine are visible all the time. I had tried the "recommended" stars several times, only to have them dissolve so I stayed with serpents only for several years. When Ken sent me a freebie, common star and it survived, I reconsidered trying Caribbean starfish. I saw the Knobby during my visit with Ken after the last TONMOCON and had him send me one, then two more :biggrin2: but he also feels that they are not particulary safe around corals.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back