• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Feeding Small Vulgaris

d.j.adams

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi,

just wondered if anyone can give me some advice on feeding my new vulgaris, well that is what believe him to be, he has a mentle of about
1cm and I have had him for 2 days now, on his first night in his tank he disappeared into the centre of some live rock where I can no longer spot him, he has not emerged since.
The tank has live hermits, several small crabs and some snails, I offered a piece of frozen mussel and lance fish tonight but the only thing interesed in that was the hermit crabs.
Just wondered if I should just leave him or keep offering food, just concered as this my first experience with such a small octopus and not sure what he is capable of eating.

Many Thanks
Darren

I'd leave him be for a couple of days, sounds like he has plenty to eat if he wants to (there's likely to be amphipods in the LR too). He's probably feeling a bit stressed from shipping and it's not unusual for octopus to disappear for a bit when they first arrive. Just resist the temptation to go look for him and he'll likely reappear!

Cheers

J

UPDATE

Day 3 still no sign of new Octopus nor is there any sign of him eating I have left a food stick in the tank for 3 hours each night in total darkness with prawn, mussle, cockle & squid but no interest from him as yet!

Also a little concerned as I know there is a hairy crab in that piece of rock and worried he may attack the new octopus!

Thanks
Darren

HEY I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO SET A BULLETIN UP SO I THOUGHT ID PUT MY OCTO PICS IN HERE LOL

davey2.jpg

davey.jpg

DAVEYJONES.jpg

He'll reappear. We lost Cap'n black beak for about 10 days, he reappeared when he felt like it! If he had escaped you'd smell him by now. What's your lighting like? If it's too bright he won't come out. try leaving it off for a bit. You may have got an individual that is strongly nocturnal too. Try turning off all the lights and just sit quietly by the tank. Use a red light so you can see (most cephs can't see red light).

Cheers

Jean

NO!!!!! If there's food for him to eat in the tank and it's disapearing, leave him alone! He may be watching you from a vantage point where you can't see him. Moving and searching through his home will only freak him out. Patience! Are all your water parameters good? Is the tank sealed correctly? If so, please wait. He will emerge!

The Cap'n has been released and Long Jenny Slither is in the big tank now. We lost her for days then discovered (at least the night tech did!) that she'd pulled a rock off the wall and gone into the hollow, then pulled the rock after he, so your fellow is probably doing something similar!

J

d.j.adams;89730 said:
Hi Jean

how long was your octopus missing for ?????

It varies from a week to a fortnight, but I believe some reported on this forum have vanished for longer.

We had one vanish for a fortnight and a new staff member caught another octopus and put it in the "missing" octopus's tank........instant warfare! So don't give up yet!

J

Still no sign

Hi

I won't give up yet I think I will give another 7 days and then move things around and have a better look in the tank

Thanks
Darren

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back