• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Feeding Black Mollies???

Feelers

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well just reading about how Black Mollies are fine in marine tanks provided they have adequate time to "convert". Would they be any good for feeding?

Perhaps their nutritional profile would get better the longer they are in the salt water.

Just an idea. :biggrin2:

I've always left them in, and they disappear in time. Whether or not I'd use them for a full time food source, I don't know...they certainly aren't a natural prey item. I'd stick with crabs and the like...

Brock Fluharty said:
I, honestly, don't even acclimate my mollies to my tanks. I use them for cycling, and the fry are a little treat for my fish. I just thow them in, and they don't even care.

Coincidentally, that's the easiest way to teach kids and kittens how to swim ! Just throw 'em in, and see which ones make it back to the surface.
Those mollies must have had lovely burning gills and swollen abdomens...sigh.

Brock Fluharty said:
I, honestly, don't even acclimate my mollies to my tanks. I use them for cycling, and the fry are a little treat for my fish. I just thow them in, and they don't even care.

well, that's how not to do it.

I also have used mollys in the past for setting up new tanks and for the occasional ceph treat but never used them extensively. I guess that copper issues from an LFS's tank would also be a concern unless you captive breed them.

i acclimatise mollys by using a small plastic tank and adding a cupful of marine water every hour until they are in the right salinity. I always find that the nicest looking mollys are in marine water.

I had one male molly for several years who went from marine to fresh several times... great fish

I know that's not how you should do it, and I do not literally throw them in. I acclimate them by adding a cup of saltwater every 5 minutes or so. They eat right after acclimation, and nothing seems wrong with them. Coud be because my LFS keeps them in a brackish tank, not freshwater. They keep them with those cool little figure 8 puffers.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back