Fecha's Journal

i finally got pictures of fecha which i will post when i get home. I believe she is an o. luteus, commonly called starry night octopus. It fits the description, and came from the right place. Has anyone kept these before?

Ok here are the pictures of Fecha

Attachments

• conv_292150.jpg
    conv_292150.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 138
  • conv_292151.jpg
    conv_292151.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • conv_292152.jpg
    conv_292152.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_292153.jpg
    conv_292153.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
Wow, considering the reddish color and white polka-dot like pattern you might be right. Mine looks nothing like that. If it wasn't Indo-Pacific I would think it to be O. briareus. Hopefully someone else has experience with O. luteus and can help you solidify the ID.

haha the red "object" is her feeding stick. I was conducting a little experiment out of boredom, to see if she would associate the bright orange color with feeding time, so i put bright orange duct tape on her feeding stick. So far it seems she gets closer to the front of the tank when i show her the color, but it doesn't seem to excite her too much until she sees the stick. It seems like i was the only person to receive an octopus other than A. Aculeatus from Liveaquaria.com

She's got a very good "hey, what are you looking at?" look, particularly in the second pic; she could almost be a Loony Tunes character! :biggrin2:

Thanks for the pics!

Haha yea she is a very funny octopus. It is so unfortunate that she is nocturnal, if it wasn't for that she would make an even more amazing pet. Nobody is perfect i guess.. I haven't heard of anyone else on here having this species, hopefully someone will chime in with a bit of knowledge on them.

Yes its from indopacific, and the pictures i saw of o. luteus did seem a bit redder, but you can definitely see the white spots on it, and i couldn't find any other species that looked like it.

simple,
You might want to try a different color for the feeding stick. Since octos are supposed to be blinded to red (one post a long time ago even said that an octo would run into a red gorgonian) maybe yellow or green would be better to get the association you want.

yea that would be a better idea. It's not really a very serious experiment since i never wrote anything down or anything of that sort, i was just curious and thought it might be interesting. I will try green for next time or maybe yellow. Last night i finally hand fed Fecha for the first time.

that is cool... rigby loves getting hand fed... but he loves my hand... but if shane tries he gets scared... I went to see my mom and rigby got REALLY mad when shane went to feed him... he tried to attack him..

It's worth noting that since octos see in shades of grey, and don't see red well, that the stick is going to appear "bright" like white or light grey if it's blue or green, and dark or black if it's red... so how visible it is will more depend on how bright or dark the background is... It's rather like if I look at a stick that's painted with infra-red paint: it looks black to me, not invisible, but to an infra-red camera, it looks bright, or infra-red-colored, or whatever.

It's still an interesting question: do octos like sticks they see as "bright" or "dark," but it's only going to have trouble seeing it if it's a dark stick against a dark background. But it might indeed see "dark" as more threatening, since octos turn dark or ink when they're alarmed.

Of course, I do advocate using this when it's useful to appear red to humans and dark to octos: I was hoping the red plastic tubes would look like "this is a nice, dark place to hide" to an octo but let humans see the octo lurking, and using a red flashlight can make a shy nocturnal octo think it's safe and comfortable to come out, but still let its owner have some light to see it by...

Monty,
Unfortunately, my red tube experiement was a failure with the Mercs. The tube is still in the tank but none of the octos took refuge in it for more than a casual checkout.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back