Fecha's Journal

Ok i have put 3 fiddlers in Fecha's tank, she usually comes out early in the morning to hunt, but the crabs buried themselves in the sand as soon as they went in. Will Fecha be able to find them, or will they come out later?

I will try that, but I'm worried that as soon as she sees me opening the top of the tank she will hide. If anything, i will drop it in the general direction of where she hid. I'm also planning on getting her to eat thawed shrimp later. How should i go about it? I was thinking i could get her to eat the fiddlers, then after i could tie, or rubber-band a fiddler to a feeding stick ( so she realizes the feeding stick means food), and once shes eating of the stick i can try switching the crab out for thawed shrimp. Does this sound like a good plan?

Unfortunately no sighting of Fecha this morning =(, hopefully tomorrow will be different. I have yet to find empty fiddler crab shells, but hopefully i overlooked some..

Ok new update. This morning i woke up to look for Fecha and noticed a rock that i hadn't seen before, and it turned out to be Fecha (shes pretty good at camouflaging). Then i put my hand on the glass and she came up to it. I got a Fiddler crab and dropped it in, and to my surprise she didn't hide when i opened the top. Well anyway as soon as the crab landed on a rock she grabbed it and pulled it under her. She gave a neat display by first turning her skin a dark red, and later she made her mantle red and her arms a weird aqua color, it looked amazing. Slowly but surely she's beginning to trust me more.

Things seem to be going well for you and Fecha. Be sure to remove any crab carapaces and uneaten food (except for food that's still alive!) from your tank after and hour or so.

It might be a good time to introduce thawed frozen shrimp pieces on a feeding stick. If she wants a second feeding, she will take the shrimp. If she shows no interest, she's full and you can wait until the next day.

Nancy

I'm so glad things are going well with Fecha now! I could practically hear you hyperventilating there for a bit :P I'm looking forward to when she's comfortable enough that you can get some good pictures!

haha yes, i was carrying around a brown paper bag just in case..and i cant wait till i can take pictures to show you guys, but so far no day appearances, shes more of a morning person, well morning octopus..

I have not seen Fecha since Friday, but i think she is eating since i have found several crab shells. Hopefully she'll come out again soon, and i hope she doesnt have the same fate as the others that were ordered from Live Aquaria:roll: I feel she doesn't come out much because she always has food, hence there is no need for her to come out, or will she just get curious on her own and decide to explore? Should i keep putting crabs in? or wait for her to come out then give her?

Ok today i woke up at 5 20, and i was able to see Fecha, she tried to hide, but noticed i still knew were she was, so she came out. I gave her a fiddler which she killed and gave to one of the two live shrimp that have evaded her so far (it was pretty weird, she just threw it at the shrimp and the shrimp started eating it). I then decided to try thawed shrimp on her feeding stick (two skewer sticks tied together since the tank is pretty deep), and after a while of moving the shrimp around in front of her she grabbed it and pulled it in, she didnt let go of the stick at the beginning, but eventually realized the shrimp was the only part she could eat, and let me have the stick. After about 30 minutes i put another shrimp to see if she was still hungry and she took it very happily. Im so glad shes eating the shrimp.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back