Favorite Lovecraft story

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Or by any author, involving the mythos...
Have to say, I think "The Colour out of Space" is mine...

Wow, great to find not only a forum on cephs, but also a healthy Lovecraftian fanbase! I hit two birds with one stone here lol

My favourite Lovecraft story is At the mountains of madness. There are too many good ones to mention all of them, but that is my favourite.

Fav Lovecraft

The one that effected me the most was "Rats in the Walls" done as a radio play one New Years Eve, with the sound effects of the rats claws all the way through it. I was totally freaked and stayed up till dawn as I was so scared.

I used to make little knitted Cuthulus (sp?).

KRin

Re: Fav Lovecraft

krin said:
I used to make little knitted Cuthulus (sp?).
KRin

For fans of Nyarlethotep, the Crawling Chaos, click here. :mrgreen:

My favorite H. P. Lovecraft is a tough call, there’s so much that’s just so very good. 8)
The stories of the Dreamlands probably resonate the most with me.

“Celephais” is one favorite.
Another is “The Strange High House in the Mist”, the opening to that one was pure poetry.

--Carl
:squid:

Had forgotten how good "rats in the walls" was...good call !! Yeah, what a brilliant writer ! Do you all like the new stories? (ie: King, Murphy, etc?)

Phillip Jose" Farmer wrote a particularily funny one called "The Freshman"
(the book by Mythos is worth every penny...some scary, some sexy, some funny)

So, according to this page:

http://www.cthulhu.org/cthulhu/index.html

the top 5 Cthulhu-related stories to read are:

1. The Call of Cthulhu
2. The Shadow over Innsmouth
3. The Dunwich Horror
4. At the Mountains of Madness
5. Pickman's Model

I've made it through the first 3 so far, my favorite being The Shadow over Innsmouth. Man, what could be more frightenening than a bunch of smelly fish frogs in the night?

I also read The Rats in the Walls, and so far Call of Cthulhu has easily been my least favorite of Lovecraft's stories.

I should get to the Mountains of Madness and Pickman's Model tomorrow. Are there any other Cthulhu-related stories that are absolute essentials?

Hmmm..."the shadow out of time" has some good bits, although I think it is the silliest of his writings... "dreams in the witch house" is good too, as is "picture in the house".
I would heavily recommend reading some of the more modern stories also, the talents of King, Bloch, etc are stunning ! Del Rey books publishes some really great composites regarding Cthulhu...

for a fun "b" movie, you can rent "reanimator" involving Herbert West...funny and somwhat creepy at the same time...some nudity though!
greg

Dunwich Horror or Case of Charles Dexter Ward
I like how Pickman is horror in Pickman's Model and comes back as fantasy sidekick in the DreamQuest

The only ones I actually found scary were Dreams in the Witchhouse and Shunned House. :cthulhu: They aren't even really very Mythos.

The best non-Lovecraft Mythos story has got to be "Black Man With a Horn".

Snafflehound said:
The only ones I actually found scary were Dreams in the Witchhouse and Shunned House. :cthulhu: They aren't even really very Mythos.

Fortunately these are both in the book with At the Mountains of Madness that I just picked up. I had to buy it because the only copy the UCSB Library had was one of the Lovecraft books in Special Ccollections that went missing 5 years ago. It seems that dead Cthulhu no longer waits dreaming in his house at Ryleh. He has risen and is continuing his evil ways by stealing library books.

Re: Favorite Lovecraft story

cthulhu77 said:
Or by any author, involving the mythos...
Have to say, I think "The Colour out of Space" is mine...

Really makes you wonder about that tap water doesn't it? I bet bottled water marketers would love that story!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back