Favorite Lovecraft story

I bet you've just tried pratchett's early discworld stuff. Try small gods, it is a multileveled work on the nature of religion.

weren't the nicklepedes from piers anthony's xanth books?

got 51 my first try

Whoops...dislexia in atcion (sic) ! You are correct, I was referring to the Xanth books. I've tried to get into Pratchett, but just can't.

Not even Hogfather? :sad:

I THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM :wink:

Have you tried Good Omens? It's a co-effort, which might make it more bearable...

ahhh, my fave would probably have to be At the Mountains of Madness, but Dream Quest is good, even if it's more like a dark fantasy story! Shadow out of Time's pretty cool also, as is Whisperer. I liked some of his more obscure ones also, like the ones set in the Dreamlands, the Doom that Came to Sarnath and the like. A few of the non-Lovecraft ones are good too! The Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos is a great book, there's a couple of crackers by Derleth in there!
As for Pratchett... are you MAD man!? The guy's a literary genius!

Graeme

Always thought that "Rats in the Walls" was a good one...not as great as "The Colour Out of Space", but close.
Pratchett, a literary genius? Come on...schlock plots with thin characters. Pick up James Thurber and compare the two...night and day! A bunch of my friends really, really love Pratchett's work, so, yes...of course he is talented, and appeals to a lot of people. Just not to me.

greg

ah well. S'pose it's just "whatever floats yer boat" at the end of the day... very much like HPL. I know a couple of people who just didn't like him, and a lot of people reckon he's a bad writer, but with an amazing imagination. He's not the BEST writer out there, but I never saw a problem with his stuff to be honest!

Graeme

Shanlyn, the missus, tried to read HPL a few times...gave up, and said "damn, this is BORING!" But she likes the Pratchett stuff...like you said, different strokes...etc.

My faves will have to be the first few I read "The rats in the Walls", "Call of Cthulhu", "The Dunwich Horror", and "A Shadow over Innsmouth".

Didn't Fritz Lieber (best known for Fathhrd and the Grey Mouser) also write a few mythos stories? and I seem to remember that Stephen King and Alan Dean Foster also wrote a couple.

yyeahhhh... :hmm: >scratches chin< I can't name any just now, but sure they in fact did! Fritz Lieber... something's telling me "Terror from the Deep" or something??? If it's the one I'm thinking of; fantastic story!! And also quite sad. See, I'm also trying to rememeber who wrote "Rising with Surtsey", but I'm pretty sure I'm correct with the first one.
I wish I had the book with me just now, but it's not around just now. Has stuff by Frank Belknapp Long and August Derleth as well.

Graeme

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back