Favorite Lovecraft story

Greg,

Oh, that's diabolical. Next you'll ask me what my favorite WWII piston-engined fighter is.

Much as I love "Mountains of Madness,""Innsmouth" and "The Colour Out of Space," I must give pride of place to "The Whisperer In Darkness." Not his best, but my favorite.

Stay out of Vermont, folks.

:goofysca:

Clem

I love "Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath," and its sequel "Through the Gates of the Silver Key."

But then I also love "The Dreams in the Witch House" -- especially Gilman's dream where he sees the Old Ones.

I've had the same dreams too!

ah, you mean something like this pops up in your dreams? You might want to run for the hills!!!
download.php

My vote is the Mountains of Madness.

Also, the film Dagon isn't half bad. (Really has atmosphere - worst hotel in all of Europe in this film!)

Where did you find that illustration, Greg? It's not yours, is it?

Nancy

No, it isn't mine...I don't have the black and white skills that that artist has...ah well....jealous. We vied for the 1st place spot in the nationwide scholastic art doothingy (back in the 80's), and I came in second...but we did become friends!
Dagon was decent, but the scripting....aaarrrgghhh...even my wife fell asleep. I spent much of the two hours ranting at the tele about devils reef, etc... :lol: :x
greg

Favorite? Eegads!

"At the Mountains of Madness" would probably be my fave just based on the whole prehuman history being chronicled in detail (plus HPL's reference to Cthulhu and his Spawn as "cosmic octopi" - just too cute), but "The Rats in the Walls" is truly frightening. Somebody told me there's a recording with Christopher Lee reading it, but I haven't tracked it down. I know David Maccallum did a recording of "The Dunwich Horror" at some point. Any votes for "The Thing on the Doorstep"? It's about as close to a relationship story that HPL ever got.

Well, when I dreamed of visiting the Old Ones (and they looked much like your fabulous illustration), they had already been infected by human culture -- they had adopted Mexican cuisine, macramé and hackey-sack -- and with five legs, they were unbeatable!

=( )=
///||\\\

Hehe....I actually did a scientific illustration of an Old One for a semester project once...(lost that one too :frown: ) and was amazed at the detail that Lovecraft described them in, with all of the curling tentacles (x5 with everything), looping wings, and eyes popping up all over. Made for a neat piece...
greg

I thought I'd revive this thread to mention that I just found that all of HPL's works are now on the web at:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

and because no one mentioned my favorite HPL story: The Haunter of the Dark! Although the Mountains of Madness and Dream Quest are good, too.

:cthulhu:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back