Family Tree of Cephalopods (with Smilies!)

smiliest phylogeny EVER

Phil, I just came across this family tree and it's absolutely brilliant. (Can't decide whether I like this one or the creationist one better :smile:)

A few finer points of phylogeny for you, in case you're interested in further modifying this baby:
- Your ceratites seem to spring from within the goniatites, whereas we know pretty clearly that they sprang from within the prolecanites (yeah, I know no one ever uses that word, but I like it).
- Due to a couple of recent discoveries, it's now thought by some that ammonites may have just barely survived the K/Pg boundary. Oh, right, the word "Tertiary" is no longer officially sanctioned either.
- I thought that cuttlefish extended back at least into the Cretaceous. ?
- As I recall the evidence is pretty clear that argonaut shells go back to the Jurassic.
- I see you now have Pohlsepia in the Pennsylvanian. Presumably we are calling it a cirrate octopod, in which case the first non-cirrate form occurs in the Jurassic if you want to mark that separately. It is not an argonaut but is known rather from soft-body impressions from a quarry in France.

Again, my congratulations on a job well done.
- peftypefty

:welcome: to TONMO, peftypefty, I hope you plan on sticking around to participate in the science forums!

There's a thread around in "Fossils and History" about the evidence that ammonites survived the K/T extinction by a bit, but I think it only came up after Phil's artistic masterpiece...

Any references you have on Cretaceous cuttlefish sound like a good read... I have to confess to having a hard time remembering the details and timing of this stuff (hence needing to refer to charts involving smilies a lot and asking dumb questions of folks like Kevin & Phil) so I'm not sure if that's been mentioned on TONMO or not.

peftypefty;114008 said:
Phil, I just came across this family tree and it's absolutely brilliant. (Can't decide whether I like this one or the creationist one better :smile:)

A few finer points of phylogeny for you, in case you're interested in further modifying this baby:
- Your ceratites seem to spring from within the goniatites, whereas we know pretty clearly that they sprang from within the prolecanites (yeah, I know no one ever uses that word, but I like it).
- Due to a couple of recent discoveries, it's now thought by some that ammonites may have just barely survived the K/Pg boundary. Oh, right, the word "Tertiary" is no longer officially sanctioned either.
- I thought that cuttlefish extended back at least into the Cretaceous. ?
- As I recall the evidence is pretty clear that argonaut shells go back to the Jurassic.
- I see you now have Pohlsepia in the Pennsylvanian. Presumably we are calling it a cirrate octopod, in which case the first non-cirrate form occurs in the Jurassic if you want to mark that separately. It is not an argonaut but is known rather from soft-body impressions from a quarry in France.

Again, my congratulations on a job well done.
- peftypefty

Oh, thanks very much Peftyx2! Welcome to TONMO too.

Your comments and tips are much appreciated, I'm glad you liked those old diagrams, they took a long time to knock up, but were tremendous fun to do. If I ever update the diagram I'll take your comments onboard.

* That's most interesting about the origin of the ceratites, I did not know that.

* Yes, I remember reading about the post-Cretaceous ammonites a couple of years ago. I think they were scaphitids and came from Poland weren't they? I know we had a thread on it somewhere. A search on a thread called 'Ammonites survived the Cretaceous Extinction' or some such should find it.

* Is that the current theory about cuttlefish origins? Most of the internet sources on cuttlefish evolution seem clouded in mystery and are contradictory so I wasn't sure what the working theory was when I drew the diagram up. Which group are they thought to have descended from, a belemnoid of some type perhaps?

* Is there any concrete evidence of Jurassic argonauts? At the time I researched the diagrams I couldn't find any evidence that they existed prior to the Oligocene, let alone the KT event. It's been a while since I've tried to investigate further, but perhaps a paper has come out since, or I quite simply missed it the first time round.

* I hope I didn't give the impression that Pohlsepia was some knd of primitive argonaut. I agree that it is probably some kind of cirrate octopod. The ten arms are a puzzler admittedly. I did try to cover the three forms of known fossil octopuses in the article of the same name, but if I made any major mistakes, please shout.

Welcome to TONMO and I look forward to reading your posts! :biggrin2:

spirula being classified with the cuttles would seem to throw a wrench/spanner in the works of cuttlefish origins from belemnites, I'd think... there are no spiral-shelled belemnites, right? Of course, spirula is a wacky outlier regardless, and calling it a "cuttlefish" seems pretty peculiar to start with, although since it's internally shelled and it has feeding tentacles, I can understand the rationale.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back