• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Excited!!

Ahhh I'm so happy going to get a 70 gallon tank with a stand for $35!

It's going to be hard to make room for it but it's definately big enough for an octo :biggrin2: I was originally planning on a 50g max.

Check it out!

tank.jpg

Height 31", Length 36", Depth 15"

Think that'll work out?

I think I'll cover the bottom with a very thin layer of live sand. The problem is my budget :[

I work at Blockbuster part time and that is my full source of income hahaha. I mean, I have a ton of stuff that I could sell in my room I guess.

But yeah, the original plan was to cover the bottom in live sand, then have enough live rocks in there so that he doesn't get bored.

I had a shock today at the pet store when I found out that it's 6.99 per pound - for some reason I was thinking per chunk. And each individual one weighs alot!! They do have a deal where if you get over 25 pounds then it's only 5.99 per pound :P

So I dunno! This week I'm going to be running around everywhere pricing stuff. I may have to go with normal sand and a mix of live rocks & dead rocks.

Good luck... live rock is expensive, but you need it - about 1 pound per gallon, so that's 90 pounds... Sometimes if you check around locally (aquarium clubs, Craig's list) you can find people getting rid of their tank and/or live rock for cheap...

You do realize that this is an expensive (and addictive) hobby? Feeding your octopus will cost way more than the octopus itself...

Wouldn't 1 pound per gallon mean I need 70 pounds? :P

Thanks for the suggestions/tips. I'm usually on top of craigs everyday :]

And of course food will cost more than the octopus itself! In the long run, food for every pet costs more than the pet itself.

Krakilin;95833 said:
Wouldn't 1 pound per gallon mean I need 70 pounds? :P

:oops: Oops, guess I should read more carefully...

Krakilin;95833 said:
Thanks for the suggestions/tips. I'm usually on top of craigs everyday :]

And of course food will cost more than the octopus itself! In the long run, food for every pet costs more than the pet itself.

That is true, it's just that feeding a cephalopod live food every day means that they usually eat better than you! Some octopus make the transition to raw or defrosted shrimp, but it is usually a good idea to supplement with live food.

You can skip the live sand and just get the normal dry-bagged arragonite sand. If you're adding live rock to the tank then your sand will become live on its own.

Hey Krakilin, welcome to TONMO and congratulations on your great find! I was just in San Diego last week... nice place.

If you can find a website for your local aquarium society, you might be able to find someone breaking down their tank and selling off their equipment for a fairly reasonable (cheaper than new) price. My local aquarium society members usually sell their live rock for $3 a pound. Sometimes you can buy uncured live rock for about that price as well. It will help cycle your tank a little quicker, but you would need to scrub it down real good with a clean brush.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back