• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Excess Cuttlefish Eggs?

doing research on Dwarf Cuttlefish Im seeing they breed quite readily. With their short lifespan they have no time to waste.

My question is what to do with the excess cuttlefish eggs. Im sure I will be able to sell some adults and give away some eggs but I imagine I will have way more eggs then I can raise or would want to. Demand doesn't seem to be that large so I dont expect Ill end up with a massive breeding project. Just enough to Keep my Main display stocked and a Next generation On deck. Of-course this means I should almost always have eggs and can provide for the continental USA.

So this begs the question whats an appropriate way to deal with excess eggs. I bring this question to the Ethics part of the forum (i wish other forums had this section.) Leaving them in a reef tank to decompose seems like a bad idea with how easy it can be to crash a reef tank. A common practice i have seen in the aquarium hobby is to quell the excess eggs. That mean euthanize or feed to some of my other animals.

The eggs seem too large for any of my other fish. My tanks are all community; no giant predators. I do have an RES but he mostly eats vegetables these days and an egg would be a very occasional treat. Plus i worry that a saltwater animal is not a good snack for a freshwater turtle. My red cherry shrimp will eat anything but thats at most one egg a week and vegetables are more likely a much better choice.

I apologize if this offends anyone. It is not my intention to upset you. Rather Id like an end to end solution for my aquarium. With dwarf cuttlefish I can keep my display stocked all from a renewable source that should no longer have any impact on our already fragile oceans.

We love our pets. I am trying to do what I feel is right in this situation. Please advise, and thank you!

i wonder if my local aquarium would have any interest?

In truth, this has never been a confirmed problem. Yes, they mate and lay fertile eggs but very few tank bred animals survive. Should you be an exception, you might look into some kind of trading with a non-chain local fish store.

Classic counting my eggs before they are born. I didn't realize they are difficult to breed. But it's good to hear the eggs won't be in plague proportions. I would like to successfully breed them though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back