Ethics of genetically engineered octopuses....

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
cthulhu77;91568 said:
:roll:

Nonsensical. We barely know enough to understand the most basic of cephalopod science, behaviour, etc...to leap off to another tangent at this time is just plain not possible, ethical or not.

Well we are talking about 'If we could...' and one day we may well be able to. I actually think it's a good idea to think about what we 'should' do well before we develop the ability to do it, otherwise we end up with the traditional hollywood 'bad things ensue' situation when someone does something that leaves people wondering "What was he thinking?!".

Besides, the original idea (glowing ceph) isn't that unlikely. As Bob said, they've done it to a fish, and if I recall correctly also to mice and pigs. So I think that if you really wanted to, and had the cash (or a research grant) you could get the ball rolling on a glowing octopus right now (if someone hasn't already, we know that people collect rare cephs, we know people will pay good money for them, we know there are people out there always looking to make a buck,....)

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Bob the kracken;91571 said:
plus i was kind of kidding about the soldiers.

I wouldn't be so quick to call it a joke.

Blue ringed octopus with heightened aggression - exeunt divers stage left (and boy would navy seals just love you)

drop aforementioned beasties off a few popular beaches during say..spring break. It would even take a while for people to notice as many of those bitten would never get a chance to scream and warn others. And unlike a chemical weapon it wouldn't naturally disperse, you would have to make sure you killed every single last one of the damn things (or all but one and then wait a year) which, unless you had some extremely brave divers would require poisoning the entire coast.

Now tell me that wouldn't make a nice little terror weapon

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Cairnos;91575 said:
I wouldn't be so quick to call it a joke.

Blue ringed octopus with heightened aggression - exeunt divers stage left (and boy would navy seals just love you)

drop aforementioned beasties off a few popular beaches during say..spring break. It would even take a while for people to notice as many of those bitten would never get a chance to scream and warn others. And unlike a chemical weapon it wouldn't naturally disperse, you would have to make sure you killed every single last one of the damn things (or all but one and then wait a year) which, unless you had some extremely brave divers would require poisoning the entire coast.

Now tell me that wouldn't make a nice little terror weapon

:shock: cross breed it with the Aussie one that hunts out of water :shock: that's just nasty!!!!:lol: It would lurk in dark, damp alleys just waiting for it's prey and then...................... :twisted:

oops going off on a tangent again !!! :roll: :roll:

J

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Jean;91586 said:
:shock: cross breed it with the Aussie one that hunts out of water :shock: that's just nasty!!!!:lol: It would lurk in dark, damp alleys just waiting for it's prey and then...................... :twisted:

oops going off on a tangent again !!! :roll: :roll:

J

Of course, both of these would only be scary if transported to somewhere other than australia. Otherwise the australians would just go "Oh look, it's a mind numbingly lethal piece of wildlife that can kill you just by looking at you......same old same old." :wink:

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Cairnos;91589 said:
Of course, both of these would only be scary if transported to somewhere other than australia. Otherwise the australians would just go "Oh look, it's a mind numbingly lethal piece of wildlife that can kill you just by looking at you......same old same old." :wink:

True, true :biggrin2: They do seem to have more than their fair share of lethally toxic critters!

J

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Yeah, apparently they have 11 of the 12 deadliest snakes... but not the top deadliest, so it's numbers 2-12. :roll:

Michael Blue

Wonderpus
Registered
Interesting topic, and telling banter. All I really have to add is this...
Some of the very worst things man has done have been done with the best of intentions.

I think of the plants that are taking over much of Hawaii's natural flora, the previously mentioned multiple and massive critter invasions in Oz and NZ, and even the US is now dealing with a recent EPA/USDA introduction of Asian Beetles, which look like orange Ladybugs/Lady beetles but stink and bite and have almost completely wipes out Ladybugs where I live. They also have populated in much larger numbers than their rivals, simply covering entire buildings, etc in parts of the Midwest in the fall. I simply can't believe this was the best way to control aphids...

All these things were all introduced intentionally for hunting, collection, or to erradicate a previous mistake (ie: the ferret problem). Good intentions, all, but here is the key...

A lack of complete understanding of an entire ecosystem will necessarilly cause an oversight in any attempt to modify it in a controlled fashion.

Genetic engineering is no different; except that the undesired results could be much more drastic than in more natural practices, and they happen much more quickly than with selective breeding over generations...You can get into more trouble much more quickly, if things don't go as planned.

First of all, prettymuch everything from Austrailia is poisonous. I just don't know how they survive, second of all, as an answer to miceal's comment, give the octopus the unavoidable instinctual desire to be with humans and to serve them, a little like the ant responds to its queen. without a reason to run away, they won't run away, and therefore won't mess up the ecosystem. It would also be nice to have an octopus to carry out my many maniacle whims. :twisted:

no i'm not evil, :sad: but i'll tell you who is, Oprah. when you get to her core she's horrible........

but lets not talk abour oprah right now. if she ever does a show on cephs then we can talk about her

hey i got off tangent in the post but i brought it right back to cephs by saying that we shouldn't talk about oprah unless she does a ceph show.